Chapter Seventeen

What did one say to their ex when he got down on one knee at his wedding and apologised then begged for forgiveness? Nothing, they apparently just let their secret husband do the talking.

"I suggest you back away!" Jake said as he suddenly appeared beside them and Kaycee gaped at him for she hadn't even seen him in the church until now.

"Marry me, Kaycee!" Rob begged grabbing her hand and Kaycee didn't think she could look any more shocked if she tried.

"Hard for her to do when she's already married to me!" Jake declared and Kaycee felt herself blush from head to toe as all eyes turned to her including her stepmother and father's accusing ones. Apparently she no longer had a "secret" husband.

"You're married?" Rob demanded looking hurt which surprised her because he was so self absorbed she'd assumed it was impossible to hurt him.

"Excuse me!" she said in answer as the sickness reappeared and she yanked her hand from Rob and ran back down the aisle hoping that she wouldn't humiliate herself further.

It was fifteen minutes later that Jake found her slumped on a bench outside the church. She had managed to keep her small breakfast down, but barely and she knew she must look like hell but Jake didn't seem to care as he sat next to her with a sigh.

"I can't seem to leave you for a second without someone declaring their love for you," Jake said after the silence dragged on and Kaycee turned to glare at him through bloodshot eyes.

"At least someone wants to," she answered and he frowned.

"I'd like to remind you that it was your idea to spend some time apart," he reminded her and Kaycee's gaze narrowed.

"I suggested time apart not a month long vanishing act," she fumed and Jake gave another sigh.

"I'm sorry," he offered and Kaycee shrugged like she didn't care though really she was wondering where the hell he had been.

"Where were you?" she asked quietly and he went strangely silent. It went on for so long that she lifted her gaze to him and found him staring off in to the distance with a a frown.

"I can't tell you," he said and Kaycee stared at him in shock. She hadn't seen him in a month and that was his explanation?

"You got a phone call and vanished. Who was the call from?" she asked and again he shook his head.

"I can't tell you,"

"You've been gone a month and you can't tell me?" she demanded noting how tired he looked.

"I'm sorry, Kaycee. I'd tell you if I could but I can't," he said and Kaycee was stunned. He was the one who had wanted their marriage to work and now here he was practically lying to her.

"Okay," she said slowly as she got to her feet.

"Where are you going?" Jake asked and she gave him a pointed look.

"Home!" she snapped before she turned and stormed away without a single glance back.

Kaycee arrived home to find a surprise waiting for her!

Sarah, complete with wedding dress was waiting on the steps leading up to her apartment. She looked a mess with her make-up smeared all over her face, her hair a mess and tears still running down her cheeks.

"I didn't know where to go!" she sobbed and Kaycee took pity on her as she let them both in to her apartment.

"Drink?" Kaycee offered but before she could put the kettle on Sarah had raided the fridge and was pulling out a bottle of wine which she poured in to two glasses before Kaycee could stop her.

"Here," Sarah said handing over a glass which Kaycee regarded carefully.

"I'm not in the mood for alcohol," Kaycee lied and Sarah narrowed her eyes suspiciously.

"Not in the mood for alcohol after the day we've had? Oh my god you're pregnant!" Sarah said in shock and Kaycee stared at her in horror.

"What? No, I just don't want alcohol!" Kaycee tried but her sister wasn't having any of it.

"It all makes sense now. How quiet you've been lately and how you're always feeling sick. The weird behaviour and lack of sleep," Sarah said as though she hadn't heard her denial and Kaycee began to panic.

"I'm not pregnant, I can't be!" Kaycee said and Sarah stared at her.

"Have you taken a test?" she asked and Kaycee shook her head slowly. She didn't add that she had been too scared to take a test to confirm her worst fears.

"I bought one but I couldn't face doing it," Kaycee confessed and Sarah smile at her. Apparently her own heartbreak was forgotten as she dragged Kaycee to the bathroom and practically shoved her inside.

"Take the test!" she called through the door and Kaycee frowned at the closed door as she collected the pregnancy test from where she had hidden it.

It was while she was waiting for the result to come up that Kaycee actually thought about what this would mean. If she was pregnant it would be a disaster because her and Jake could barely even make it an hour without arguing. Add a baby in to the mix and their whole relationship could fall apart. She had no doubt that Jake would demand she stay with him for the sake of their child but it would be an unhappy marriage that they would be forced to stay in. But what if she wasn't pregnant? Surprisingly that thought upset her as well. She had gotten used to the idea of having a baby even though she dreaded it and if it turned out she wasn't carrying Jake's child then she didn't know how she would feel.

"Is it done?" Sarah called through the door and Kaycee took a deep breath as she picked up the pregnancy test.

"Yes," she answered as her heart sank.

"Well? Are you pregnant?"