Chapter Nine

Jake strode in to his study, his movements angry as he started up his computer and ran a rough hand through his short hair. He knew that it wasn’t Kaycee’s fault that she felt the way she did, after all they had only known each other two days and it wasn’t as though either of them had chosen to get married but for some reason it just felt like the most natural thing in the world to him. Being married to Kaycee and waking up next to her every day for the rest of his life? Yeah, he could really see himself being happy with her. So, why couldn’t she at least give them a fighting chance instead of simply fighting him.

It had come as a surprise to him too when he had realised that he actually had feelings for Kaycee. She was only supposed to have been part of his bet, a one night stand, and yet something about her intrigued him. He felt protective of her and not just because he had been her first lover. It was more than that and he felt it since he had met her.

They were similar in so many ways, both of them wanting a love they had never really known. His mother may have been there for him but his father had rarely spent any time with him and when he had it had always been to criticise him, maybe that was why he had rebelled at such a young age and become such a womaniser.

Normally after a few days with a girl he was bored of her and ready to move on and as a rule he never spent the full night with any girl. Yet Kaycee was different, he didn’t think he could ever grow bored of her, she was constantly changing and showing a different side of herself. Sometimes he looked at her and saw just a prickly shell waiting to attack him, other times he saw how fragile she really was and how easily she had been hurt in the past. Every time he saw her she was changing in some small way and he didn’t think even she noticed the difference.

Her family had really done a number on her and yet she had survived and even excelled where they had doomed her to failure. Maybe that’s why he felt so guilty about what he had to do. But he couldn’t just let her go, she was his wife and he had no intention of letting this marriage just slip through his fingers. They could be so good together and he was determined to give them that chance.

Kaycee sat for a few moments frowning at the doorway Jake had gone through as she let the guilt sink in. It was unfair of her to blame everything on him, she knew that. After all he had not forced alcohol down her neck or dragged her in to the chapel and forced her to say yes. But somehow it was easier to blame him than admit that she had made a mistake. After being so perfect for so long how was it possible that she could have made such a disastrous decision that could ruin her life forever? She’d had plans and they didn’t include marrying some playboy billionaire.

That’s what had been so perfect about Rob. He was easy! He didn’t make demands on her time, he just fit neatly in to her schedule. It hadn’t been fair on either of them, she realised now. But it had seemed so simple at the time. She had plans for her future, plans to prove that she was more than just another demand on her father’s time and he could actually be proud of her. Those plans hadn’t included a demanding husband who would get in her way and distract her from her goals. Rob had never demanded anything from her, had never demanded that they have sex, not once in all the time they were together. He had never had expectations out of their relationship, had never wanted her to be at his every beck and call. She had thought she was in love with him, had expected that one day they would get married and have kids because that was what everyone else would want but she had never really felt any real passion with him. Not like she did with Jake!

And that was when it hit her! She was in love with Jake!

It was so obvious to her now, Rob must only have been with her for her money of which he must have been disappointed because she had never lived off her father’s money and she had never felt anything for Rob beyond a basic like, never mind about love or even lust.

And yet how could she trust Jake with her heart when she didn’t even trust him not to mess up all her plans?

“I’m sorry!”

Jake frowned at Kaycee as he entered the kitchen to find her not only cleaning it but also with an apology on her lips, something that had been unheard of the past few days.

            “You’re sorry?” he repeated unsure that he had actually heard her right. Surely his prickly wife couldn’t be apologising to him.

            “Yes! I was wrong to have said what I did. You were just trying to be nice and I totally over-reacted. I’m sorry.” Kaycee said choosing her words carefully and he smiled at her, a full watt completely natural grin that showed all his pearly white teeth and knocked the breath from her at the sight of it.

            “And I’m sorry too,” he said making Kaycee frown.

            “What are you sorry for? You didn’t say anything wrong. Or is this an apology for the kidnapping? Which, by the way I am still not happy about!” she said and he laughed.

            “I’m sorry that you can’t take a compliment and that you think so little of yourself when you are the most amazing woman I have ever met.” Jake told her and just when she was beginning to melt he added “And no, I’m not sorry that I kidnapped you,”

            “You can’t keep me here forever Jake. I mean I get it okay? We could have something, maybe even something amazing but I have a life, I have friends, and a family and a job that I love.” Kaycee told him trying to make him realise that he couldn’t just keep her here.

            “And you can’t run from this forever Kaycee. I get it okay? You have friends, family, a job. But you know what? I can live without all of that as long as I have you, can you say the same?” he asked making Kaycee blush as he threw her words back at her.

            “Please just give me some time to get used to this, to get used to us,” she pleaded and he shook his head firmly.

            “I can’t Kaycee, don’t ask me to let you go because it’s the one thing I can’t do!” he said making her force her heart to harden against his puppy dog expression that made her want to agree to anything he said as long it would soothe the hurt look he wore like an old security blanket.

            “You can’t keep me here, eventually I’m gonna leave and then we won’t have anything. At least if you let me go we can see where this is going,” she urged and Jake shook his head sadly.

            “I didn’t want to do this Kaycee, but it’s the only way. If you want to go, then do it but be warned you hold your father’s life in your hands,” Jake informed her and Kaycee paled.

            “What is that supposed to mean?” she demanded in disbelief.

            “It means that you’re free to leave if that’s what you want. But I will never give your father a single penny and the state his business is in at the minute, it will collapse within weeks leaving your entire family out on their asses without a penny to their name. So, it’s up to you, cara. What’s it to be? Your freedom or your family’s livelihood?” he asked and Kaycee stared up at him with tears shining in her eyes as he shattered all her hopes that she had for them with that one sentence. For how could she deny her family anything?

            “You’re a cold, heartless bastard!” she told him furiously and he gave a frown.

            “Was that a choice?” he asked and she cursed.

            “Yes, damn you. We both know that I would never let you hurt my family. But I want you to know that I will never forgive you for this! You hear me Jake? I may stay with you but I will never love you and I will make you regret the day you met me!” Kaycee flung at him before she turned and stormed out while the tears ran silently down her cheeks.