03. Joe

I went to the place that dad had sent me to, only to find a rundown old building, I stood in front of it wondering when my father had sent me. I watched a tall boy with dark hair walk inside, and a few other men. There were no women around the building, bit I went inside anyway not wanting to disobey my father's orders.  When I got inside, I could see it looked a lot like a school gym, however it was bigger, at least 3 times the size. There was a balcony on one side, with what looked like the door to an office along it, along with two other doors, below that was a row of punching bags, attached to the low ceiling. Moving across there were two sets of blue mats set up in squares, which had a white circle outline painted on them, making me think that those sets of mats didn't move very often. On the other side of the room were weights, of all different varieties lined up against the walls. There were people on all the equipment working out, and training, some with skipping ropes, others grappling on the mats with a partner. To be honest, it looked terrifying.

A man who was sat on a bench tying his shoelaces looked up and shouted over to me "hey kids are you lost?" As I shuffled closer he looked at me expectantly. Coming to a stop in front of him I stood fidgeting moving from foot to foot before finally taking a deep breath I burst out,

"My dad sent me, he told me to be here by five and that I should ask for Joe," pulling the note out of the pocket of my jeans I looked down and read out "he's the big hairy guy?"

As I looked over the face of the man who was stood in front of me, I noticed, the full head of dark brown hair, along with the beard that covered his chin and neck, and the hair that was poking out of the collar that was on his shirt, he also had very muscular, but also hairy arms. In that moment I realised what I said and began to blush slapping my hand over my mouth, but before I could apologise for what I said he began to chuckle.

"You must be Nick's kid," he smiled warmly at me, "I'm joseph, but you can call me Uncle Joe." I looked at him, my eyes widening but he answered my question before I could ask it "yes, I am your real uncle, I'm your dads brother, and apparently he never told you" I shook my head to clear it, and form a sentence.

"Umm, Hi?" 'Really, I have just found a family member and the only intelligible thing I could think to say is umm hi!' Sometimes I astound myself. Clearing my throat I tried again "my name is Scarlett" I gave him a small smile and heled out my hand. Shaking it, he looked me over before focusing on my face again. Looking at the bruises spread over my cheeks and jaw then down to my miniscule hand which he still heled in his formidable one.

"Hum, bruises on your face, but no cuts on the knuckles," I let go of his hand "I'd say you were being bullied" looking intently at me I nodded looking down, he doesn't know the half of it, but I guess he was sort of right.

"Something like that" I mumbled in agreement. Joe looked down on me sympathetically, remaining silent for a moment, before surprising me and clapping his hands and shouting "well let me see what you've got" he walked away then turning around and beckoning me to follow him.

Coming to a stop on the mats, and strapping on gloves, Joe looked directly into my eyes "okay, copy me" as I stood there looking puzzled he dropped into a fighting pose, raising his hand and lowering his head. Taking a deep breath, I try copy his stance mirroring how he ducked his head, and raised his hands. He circled me, looking analytically at my positioning, tapping my elbow so that I would raise my hands higher "always protect your head," he continued circling me "move your feet so you can bend your knees more, make sure you can move to attack or move out of the way of a hit" he went on coaching me teaching basic blocks, making sure I was good at them before moving onto the next one.

I was having fun, for what felt like the first time in 3 years when joe said," I think you should go now squirt, it's getting dark," casting a worried glance towards the window, knowing that I had to walk through a shady area.

"Yeah I should probably be going" I sighed and went to grab my stuff from where I had left it earlier. As I got to the door he shouted

"now be sure to come back tomorrow, ill teach you how to hit" I smiled as I left, thinking of my new found family.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

vote and comment

G xoxo