69. It's Mine?

I had been home for a day, I didn't realize how relaxing it was to be back home. I knew that man would be back soon. Apparently, he had committed a few crimes, and those days he hadn't come home were the times he was in a holding cell overnight. I smiled to myself as I wondered around the house. I came to a stop in front of the old piano that lived in the corner of the living room, deciding to give playing it a try. As I sat down and lifted the cover, something fell out of place.

Paper fluttered to the floor. Curiously I picked it up and began to read the first piece of paper had my mother's handwriting sprawled across it, taking a deep breath I opened it, to find that the note was addressed to me.

Scarlett, 
I know that I was never the best mother, but I did try, I went out and earned money to clothe and feed you, but when your started drinking, I couldn't cope any more, he didn't even try. I wasn't meant to be a single mother, and I was on my own looking after you. I hope that you can forgive me for not taking me with you, but I know that your father will be good to you. You can call me any time my little lemon drop, I'd go to the ends of the world for you

Lots of love Momma xx

I looked down at the letter, I didn't believe anything she had written there, granted she did earn all the money, but I had raised myself, while dad drank himself to death. I had to struggle through all my own maths homework, and look after all the cuts and scrapes that I had earned myself. I cleaned the house, and put myself to bed, while she just abandoned me. I shook my head, putting the letter to one side only to see an envelope addressed to me, though it had already been torn open. The elegant writing that lay splayed on the page made my vision blur with tears, it was from my grandmother. My heart was pumping almost painfully in my chest as I pulled the paper out of its casing. There were four pieces of paper folded neatly, two had my Grandmas elegant writing on them, another was an official looking document, and the final one was much older, and browner than the others. I read the ones in my grandmas writing first.

Little Red,

I imagine you're much bigger now; and beautiful, the thing I loved about you the most, your eyes, always so warm and inviting, and you never had a bad word to say, you were the happiest little girl I ever had the pleasure of meeting. I hope that you grow up to be as loving as you are now, and raise children just like you, I'm sorry that I can't be there for you, but I will remain with you, in spirit, watching over you.

I hope you carry on playing, just as beautifully as you do now, some day you will be a star, just remember the magic words:

"A wish placed upon a star, will let your dreams come true, it makes no difference who you are, if your heart is in your dream. No request is too extreme if you wish upon the stars like dreamers do."

I might not be there to guide you through the hard times in your life, but I try to make them easier, to you I leave the house and all its contents, to do with as you wish.

Just remember A woman so graceful, so fine and beautiful a woman with penchant for everything elegant a woman with poise and refined choice my dear granddaughter like you there is no other.

GG xoxo

The note brought tears to my eyes as I read and reread it remembering the good times I shared with her, as she picked me up after falling off my bike. Eating warm cookies and milk with her. Going on day trips to the zoo. All manner of forgotten memories sprung into my mind as I sat pressed up against the wall. Then it clicked in my mind 'to you I leave the house and all its contents the house 'the house, and all its contents' I gasped, realizing that the house was mine. I couldn't be sure but I had to ask, I stood from my position on the floor and then made remembered the other pieces of paper. Unfolding them I found a copy of the last will and testament of my grandmother where she left me all her savings which where upwards of $200,000, and the house, Joe had been left her engagement ring to give to the woman he loved, and my father had been left with her wedding ring. I grinned, with tears still leaking down my face, and then looked at the last piece of paper. It was smaller than the rest, so small it didn't need to be folded. A photograph of me and her smiling at each other as I clung to her chest. I was a baby, and my mop or red hair was wildly flying everywhere. A warm smile spread across my face. On the back it said "this was always my favorite picture of us." And gave the details to the account with the money she had left to me.

hey, just FYI GG, stands for gorgeous grandma (its a nickname that she gave her grandma before she died), something which was in a chapter that i took out.... no, i didn't forget her name! because a child isn't really going to know the relevance of its grandparents initials, so just so you know :) anyways, as you were ducklings