Chapter Fourteen: Everything

-Mason-

                The radio in my car started to ring.

                Val.

                "Did you talk to her?" I asked as soon as I answered her.

                "Who?" She asked innocently.

                "You know who."

                "Oh, Tiffany. That's right. Yes, I did talk to her. I think she gets the message."

                I was guarded, "What did you say?"

                Silence.

                "Valery." I warned.

                "Hey! Don't use that stern tone with me." She pouted, "And it wasn't anything too bad. I just told her that you were my boyfriend and she needed to back off. I also told her to leave Deserae alone."

                I sighed, "What else?"

                "Else? There's nothing else."

                I snorted, "I doubt Ms. Adams didn't say anything back and if she did, I doubt you didn't retaliate."

                "Damn." She muttered followed by an uneasy laugh, "She sorta kinda threatened me and I might have, MIGHT have... threatened her back and shove her against a wall..." She mumbled the end.

                I groaned, "Val, you do know her dad's important in this town, right?"

                "Yeah." She grumbled, "She tried using it against me. I simply told her about Uncle William."

                I raised an eyebrow, "But you don't talk to him."

                I could practically see the devious smirk, "So? She doesn't need to know that. Besides, if I really needed him to, he would." She paused, "More than likely."

                I chuckled.

                "Anyway!" She started quickly, "Any sign of Deserae?"

                I sighed, "No. She's not at home, but her friend Miranda said that Deserae likes to disappear for days on end."

                "Yeah, because her dad likes to beat he- Wait, you know where she lives?"

                "Focus Val." I said, chuckling a little.

                She cleared her throat, "Yeah, sorry. But can you blame me?? Just how much about this girl do you know?"

                "Apparently not enough." I muttered.

                "Where are you now?"

                I looked around. The sky was darkening and most of the street lights were starting to come on. Stone pavement was surrounding me, along with several fancy stores and restaurants.

                "Town Square, near the famous fountain." I said, noting the giant fountain in the distance. "I think I might look for her on foot."

                "But it's almost dark. What if someone tries to kidnap you and use you as a sex slave?" She took a sharp breath and panicked, "Oh my god. Holy shit! What if Deserae was kidnapped by some guy who just got out of prison and wants to use her as his maid because he has a freaky fetish?! Or worse! What if-"