Chapter Nineteen: Say What?!

"How long has this been going on?" A cop asked, his hair falling in front of his chubby face. He had grey and hair and serious, stern eyes. The deep blue uniform he was wearing was tight against his beer-belly, but his pants seemed to be falling down slightly.

                I swallowed, "Since my mother died."

                He nodded, jotting it down in his little notepad.

                Mr. Carter glanced at me for a split second before continuing his conversation with another officer. Now that we weren't in a dangerous situation – and there was more light – I could see the rare, mahogany short sleeved shirt and blue-jeans. Valery was next to him with her arms wrapped around herself, almost as if she was cold... or frightened. Her outfit was a little bit more revealing with the low-cut top and too short skirt. Not to mention her black heels that made her look the same height as Mr. Carter.

                "What's going on?!? Deserae!" A familiar voice shouted out, causing my head to snap at the other end of the yard.

                Miranda was struggling past a cop, obviously deciding whether to just deck him or evade him. By the look on her face, she was leaning more towards hitting him. Matt and Mike stood next to her, obviously planning on backing her up if she decided to beat the poor officer.

                "They're friends." I said, walking over to the yellow caution tape and smiling at the three, "What's up?"

                Miranda looked around, eyes trailing from my house with its broken windows and doors to the junk car parked in the front yard and finally to Mr. Carter and Valery.

                "What the hell happened here?" She demanded, the surprise taking off from the edge in her voice.

                "And why is your dad sitting in a police car?" Mike asked, looking at the grungy man spitting fire at Mr. Carter.

                "And you're lips bleeding..." Mike continued.

                "It's... uh... kind of a long story." I said, running a hand through my hair.

                "What happened?" Miranda demanded again.

                Matt put a hand on her shoulder, "Calm down M. I'm sure whatever's going on, Deserae will tell us tomorrow." He looked at me, "Right?"

                "I think it'll be all over the news by tomorrow." Mike said, smirking brightly for a camera guy a few yards away.

                Matt backhanded him, "Idiot. This is no time to be showing off."

                Mike rubbed his nose, glaring at his brother, "Ass. It's obvious she doesn't want us to know what happened."

                I sighed, "I'll tell you all tomorrow. Right now, I need to figure out a few things."

                They nodded.

                "Just... don't do anything stupid." Matt said.

                "If you need a place to live, my room's always open sweetheart." Mike winked, receiving another backhand from Matt.

                Miranda sighed, shaking her head, "I'm surrounded by idiots." She muttered then smiled meekly at me, "Tomorrow." She agreed.