Chapter Twenty: Telling Miranda Everything... With Exceptions

"You mean this has been going on for that long?!" Miranda shouted, slamming her fist down on the table and shooting out of her seat.

                I sighed as everyone in the cafeteria looked at us.

                "Calm down." Matt said, "You're drawing attention to her."

                "Hell if I care!" She continued to yell, "Why didn't you tell me?! It's gotten this bad and I didn't even know!" She collapsed to her chair, her hands covering her face. "Why didn't I notice?" She mumbled.

                Matt put his hand on her shoulder and she sniffed, trying to wipe at her eyes before anyone noticed that she was crying.

                "I have to agree with Miranda here." Mike said, "Why didn't you tell us?"

                I cleared my throat and pushed my hair behind me ear, "It never came up in a conversation?" I tried.

                He glared at me.

                Another sigh. "I don't know. I just didn't know how to tell you guys."

                "We're your friends. You should trust us." Mike said, the glare still not completely off his face.

                "Maybe if you weren't so busy trying to get in my pants, you would've noticed." I snapped, a little irritated.

                That wiped the glare right off his face.

                His expression was immediately replaced with self-disgust and I almost felt bad. Almost.

                "It's all in the past now." Matt said, obviously trying to keep his calm as well, "What matters is that she's safe, right guys?"

                Neither of them said anything and he sighed again.

                "Where are you living now?" Miranda demanded.

                I hesitated. I knew they'd ask eventually. "I'm living with a friend." She raised an eyebrow, "The redhead you guys saw yesterday."

                Miranda shook her head, "She's way too old. What if she's some freaky pedophile?"

                I had to keep myself from laughing.

                Valery? A pedophile? Never.

                I hit her shoulder, "She isn't that bad... Once you get to know her."

                "It's settled then. You're living with me." She said with a curt nod.

                I shook my head, "You know that won't work. Your house is too small and you're barely getting by as it is." I smiled at her, "Valery's got plenty of room and money. I'll be fine there."

                Her eyes narrowed slightly, "And what happens if something happens? Like she assaults you or something?"

                I chuckled, "You'll be the first I'll tell."

                "You could stay with us." Matt said matter-of-factly, "We have plenty of room and money."

                "Guys," I said exasperatedly, "I want  to live with Valery."