Chapter Twenty-One: News

"So this is where you live now?" Miranda asked, her mouth practically on the ground, "No wonder you want to stay with her."

            "Yeah..." I said absently, running a hand through my hair, "Where did Mr. Carter go?"

            Valery smiled; it was the kind of smile that she only smiled when something was going on, "Oh, you know. He just went to take care of something. He'll be back soon."

            I raised an eyebrow before Miranda wrapped her arms around my neck, "So, now that Mr. Carter knows about your crush, do you think you'll have a chance?"

            My eyes widened, "Chance? Um, what do you mean by that?"

            "You knoooow." She said, leaning in my ear to whisper, "Dating."

            "No." I said firmly, "I don't want to date him anyway."

            "Oh really?" An amused voice said at the door.

            We all turned to Mr. Carter, who was smirking as usual.

            "Really." I said, crossing my arms, "And where have you been?"

            He shrugged, "Here and there." He walked over to us, towering over me, "But about this not wanting to date me thing. Are you sure you don't want to date me?"

            I gulped, not liking where this was going, "I'm sure." I said, trying to keep my stance, "Who would want to?"

            Oh yeah. He was enjoying this, "So, even if I kissed you right now, you wouldn't respond?"

            Miranda squealed alongside Valery.

            Oh god. I really didn't like where this was going. "W-what are you talking about? Of course not."

            What was this guy thinking?!

            He leaned down, breath brushing against my lips, before he pulled away, a satisfied smirk, "I see."

            I glared at him. Was that seriously necessary?

            He ruffled my hair, "It's passed eight. Maybe you should be heading to bed."

            "What am I? Five? I'm sure I can stay up later than..." I faded out as he leaned down.

            "Bed." He said, "Now."

            I glared, "And what are you going to do if I don't go?" I challenged.

            He simpered, "Do you really want to find out?"

            I cringed, "I'm not afraid of you."

            "Of course not. That's why I'm locking you and your friend up."

            "Wha-" I started but was cut off by Mr. Carter throwing me over his shoulder, "Put me down asshole!"

            He chuckled as I pounded on his back, "I don't think so. Now sit in the room with your buddy and be a good girl, okay?"

            As soon as he opened his bedroom door, he sat me on the bed, "Next time I set you on the bed, it'll be for completely different reasons." He winked.

            My eyes widened and my cheeks heated up. Quickly, I grabbed the pillow next to me and threw it at him, "What's that supposed to mean, you damn pervert!"