Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Tanner's P.O.V

There were three things I was certain of; one being Harley was no longer in this town. The second being it wasn't his choice not to be here. And the third being I would absolutely so anything to get him back safely. I sat down on the park bench and thought things over. I'd asked everyone if they'd seen him, no one had. Cindy, Harley's mum has now gone to the police and they've put out patrols for him. They weren't too eager to search until we'd told him he was the son of an ex-drug lord and was possibly taken by other drug lords, probably ones they were after. That made them a lot keener. I knew it wasn't just a possibility that he was taken by these drudges, it was a definite. What was I going to do?

"Tanner!" I heard someone call and looked up to see Avery and Sebastian running across the park to me. I stood to greet them

"So sign?" I asked them. They shook their heads.

"We have an idea," Sebastian said to me as he put his hand on my shoulder.

"I'm listening," I said.

"We got a text from Harley, read this," Avery said, handing me his phone. My eyes went wide. Then they explained to me their plan.

The next day I woke early and raced around town with Sebastian and Avery spreading the news that Harley's dad was back in town, and how he looked pretty mad, like he was up to something. Of course he wasn't, but they didn't have to know that. Thanks to Harley's text I knew the people who he was with were scared of his dad. So that was a start. Maybe we could get them to give him up if they thought he'd come after them. I just hoped it worked. I wasn't sure what else I could do. We waited to see their next move.

I was lying on my bed with my hands behind my head hoping to a god I didn't believe in that Harley was okay. My phone went off and I jumped.

"Hello?" I asked, too in a hurry to see the caller ID.

"Tanner, check your email," came Avery's voice. Without speaking I went straight to the computer and logged myself into hotmail. I had one inbox message. The sender was unknown. I read the message.

'Michael De Roe, if you want to see your son alive you will meet us alone at the Northern Lake Bridge on the 7th at 8pm.'

"Holy shit," I said to the phone.

"I tried to trace it but it wouldn't go back more than two leads. It's also only sent to the people in Harley's hotmail contact list. There's some sort of encrypting too, so that the police can't find it. It's actually really clever," Avery explained.

"Avery, this is no time to nerd everywhere, Harley is in danger. What are we going to do?" I sighed.

"We call Seb," Avery chuckled.

Before I knew it it was the 7th and I was sitting in the back of a van on our way to the bridge. It had all gone by in a blur, a painful blur. Seb was driving, Avery in shotgun and me in the back. How could three young boys take on a big drug gang? Easy, we had a secret weapon. We pulled up at the bridge and saw lights over the other side, car headlights. Dark figures of tall and muscular men were standing in front of the lights; I felt my blood begin to boil as my eyes landed on a figure being supported by a bigger man. The figure was slouching and looked frail. It could only be one person. We pulled up side on so that when he walked out of the side sliding door we'd face them. We parked like this to make it easier to escape too. It was my turn to work my magic. I put on a pair of shades to help with the lights and yanked the door open and stepped out. I imagined I was in some tough guy movie and swaggered my way over to the group, making sure I looked confident. I stopped halfway along the bridge and waited for one of them to come greet me. The person in the middle, the fat one, whacked someone beside him on the arm and he began walking over to me. When he reached me I had to look up to see his face. I was 6ft tall as it was. This guy must have been close to 7. Harley was 6.4ft; my eyes darted to him and then back to the guy.

"Give us Harley, and we'll give you Michael," I said confidently and loud enough for the people behind this guy to hear. The guy didn't speak; he just went back to his boss. It reminded me of a sheep and I smirked. They started mumbling and then speaking to the guy who was holding Harley. He then brought Harley halfway to meet me. I could see his face better now and I held back a gasp. His entire face, the side I could see anyway, was dark from bruises. I motioned with my hand for Avery to come join me. Everything was going to plan so far. I heard Avery step out of the van and come join me. He pretended to whisper in my ear and we both went back to the van. While Avery had come out to distract them Seb had gone into the back and put a pillow case over his head. Now Avery tied up his hands and we took him over to the bridge, closing the van door behind us. Avery and Seb stopped halfway and I went back into the middle. I put out my hand to take Harley. The guy who had Harley moved forward and as he moved the rest of the drug gang lifted up guns. I started to freak out in my head. Avery and Seb stayed where they were as Harley reached me. He didn't even see aware that I was there. I put my arm around his waist and took his weight. Then the guy nodded to Seb who was covered by the pillow case. Then our plan was put into action. I'll low it down into Matrix style so you can all understand what happened because it all happened within seconds and put it into 3D.

I rushed backwards with Harley and crashed my back into the side of the bridge the same time Avery and Seb rushed in the opposite direction into the tree line. The force of my movement backwards tossed us over the side and into the river below where I then swam under the bridge for shelter from any raining bullets. Up top Avery and Seb would now be out of view too. The van door would then suddenly rip open and the real Michael De Roe would leap out with two full automatic guns in his hands, he would then proceed to let rip across the bridge without actually shooting anyone. I listened carefully as this part of the plan played out. Then the next part of the plan would go into action. While Michael De Roe was firing and moving forwards to make the gang move back to their cars I would drag Harley up the bank and into the back of the van, using the van as a blockade and shield from any other bullets. When I hopped in the van Seb and Avery were already there in the front ready to drive off. Michael then turned and raced as hard as he could, leaping into the open van door that I would then close behind him and Seb would gun it the hell out of there down the road hoping they'd follow us.

Now speed that all up in your mind and that's how it really happened. We tared down the road as lights appeared in the rear view mirror.

"They're tailing us," Avery cried. Seb hit the gas harder. We needed to get into the rural area where a line of police cars were fully armed and waiting. I looked down at Harley who was now spread out across the van floor. His father was putting a pre-prepared ice-pack onto the bruised side of his face and he groaned. He looked terrible, a complete wreck and it made me sick. I'm sure our dive off the bridge hadn't helped, and him being dragged by me over the ground. But for now he was still alive. God, what if he was internally bleeding? I shoved that thought away to the very darkest spot in my mind and locked it away with a rabid bear and padlocks.

"He needs the hospital," I gulped. Michael nodded. I'd known that for as long as I'd know Harley, he was so familiar and trusting. I wasn't looking out the windows but I knew we were still being chased. I also knew when we'd crossed into the rural area because blue and red lights filled the back of the van and sirens began to wail. We stopped for a second only to let Avery out and then zoomed off to the hospital. We had to let Avery out to the police so he could explain that we were taking Harley to the hospital. I didn't care about that though; my mind was on one thing. And that one thing was slowly getting paler and paler by the second.