Chapter 1 - New Music Director

February 26, 2030

*Rylie's POV*

"Mum!" I exclaimed, running into the kitchen from my room.

"What is it, sweetie?" Mum smiled.

"I heard that Mr. Logan retired from being the band and chorus director, so we're getting a new one this year!" I was so glad because Mr. Logan was getting old and was getting worse at music as he got older. Band and chorus were practically my life, too.

"Really? That's good, right?"

"Yes! I can't wait to find out who my new teacher is!"

"Text me when you find out who he is and if he's nice," she told me, and I nodded. I grabbed my book bag, my instrument cases, and walked out to catch the bus on the first day of school.

------

Fifth period came, and I walked into the band room. I stayed at the front before we started. The new teacher with dirty blonde curls, sort of like mine, came out of his office and came to the front of the room.

"Hi," he greeted me, smiling.

"Hi Mr..." I waited for his last name.

"Irwin," he told me. I nodded.

"Mr. Irwin. I was just wondering what instrument you think we'd need someone else playing?"

"Um.. Looking at the sections, it seems like there's a need in the clarinets," he pointed.

I nodded and grabbed my clarinet case out of my backpack and sat my backpack by the door so I wouldn't forget it.

I made my way to the clarinet section and sat down. I got out my phone and texted mum quickly.

"Mr Irwin is his name" I texted.

"First name?"

"Idk..."

"Hair color?"

"Dirty blonde, why?"

"Just wondering.."

Mr. Irwin started taking attendance, so I put my phone away after texting my mum, "ok gtg". I didn't want to get caught on my phone on the first day. That wouldn't give me a very good impression on the new teacher.

"Rylie Jensen!" He called when he got to my name.

"Here!" I held my hand up. He looked at me and smiled, "oh!"

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing.. I just didn't know your name," he looked back down at his attendance sheet.

"Okay," I looked down at my clarinet.

He continued attendance, and once he was finished, he gave us music. I got the sheet, and it looked super easy.

"Clarinets, give me a high D," Mr. Irwin instructed. While the other students snickered, I played the perfect high D.

"Very good, Miss Jensen," Mr. Irwin complimented.

"It's really not that hard," I shrugged.

"Band geek," someone in the percussion section muttered.

"Now, now.. We're not here to judge other people for their love for music. If you don't love music, you shouldn't be here. Percussion is no better than any other instrument. Even though I'm best at drums personally, it's still no more important than any other instrument," Mr. Irwin looked at the kid who told me I was a band geek.

"What instruments do you play? I bet it's not as many as Rylie," Paul, the kid playing percussion, told Mr. Irwin.

"I play drums, saxophone, guitar, and piano," Mr. Irwin informed us.

"Well Rylie plays clarinet, trumpet, flute, trombone, oboe, and saxophone. But she's best at saxophone."

"I also play piano and guitar, but.." I quietly said.

"Okay, enough on what Miss Jensen plays, even though it does take talent," he looked at me and smiled, "you must have parents who love music."

"My dad loved music. My mum plays saxophone," I told him.

He nodded, "anyways.. Trumpets, give me an A."

The trumpets played A's. The whole period went on like that, and we finally played all together. We did lots of different things, but Mr. Irwin seemed to like music a lot more than Mr. Logan and he was definitely a better teacher.

"Miss Jensen.." He stopped me before I left.

"Yeah?" I looked at him before finishing putting my clarinet case in my backpack.

"You're really good. Like I said earlier, that takes talent," he smiled.

"Thanks. I have talented parents too."

"Really? What all instruments do your parents play? Did they teach you?"

"Well, my mum plays saxophone, but I don't know what my dad plays. I don't know my dad. He doesn't know about me.." I trailed on, "I don't want to bore you though. I'll talk to you in chorus later!"

"No, wait.."

*Ashton's POV*

"What is it?" She looked back at me. I had forgotten what I had said.

"Never mind.. Bye," I told her before she walked out, telling me goodbye too.