Thirty One

|Song: Tears Fall By Jaquie Lee|

Thirty One

"Live for me."

"No, no no no." I sobbed uncontrollably, cradling her limp head in my hands despite the violence that just occurred, she looked serene. Her hair flowed around her and her beautiful blue eyes were shut. "No please no." The blood was everywhere, running in thick red rivers all over our hardwood floor.

I could hear sirens in the distance, someone must've heard my screams and called the police. Caleb had ran off like the coward he is, leaving me cowering on the floor staring at my seemingly dead girlfriend's body and feeling dead inside. I didn't know how to react when I found out he was the one who'd attacked that girl mom had done surgery on the first week we came here, so I shoved it out of my mind. I had enough disturbing thoughts plaguing my mind at the moment and I could barely function as is. 

I barely heard the door as it was busted open, and police officers filled the room. "We need an ambulance!" Someone yelled.

Someone crouched beside me, out of the corner of my eye I could see it was a woman. Shoulder-cropped brown hair, and vanilla perfume. "Miss? Are you hurt?"

I shook my head, then winced at the sharp sting I felt. My hand instinctively went up to touch my neck, the skin on skin burned slightly and though there was too much blood already on my hands, they came away feeling wet.

"You're bleeding. Okay, we're going to get you to the hospital." She stated.

"I can't leave her." I whispered, my eyes still riveted on Juliette's non-moving form hanging in my arms. The blood was sticky and felt heavy where it was drying on my hands and clothes.

"Sweetie, the paramedics need to take a look at her." I heard her words, and I knew she was right, I just couldn't bring myself to move. My hand palmed her cheek perfectly. I wanted more than anything for her beautiful blue eyes to peer into mine again.

"Okay." I whispered. The woman nodded and beckoned for someone off to the side to come forward. The paramedic, a young man with sandy blond hair, smiled reassuringly at me and gently extracted Juliette from my arms and placed her on the stretcher.

My heart leapt to my throat when his fingers touched her neck. "I've got a pulse!" He yelled, and more paramedics rushed over.

My hands trembled. She was alive?! "Miss, we need to get you to the hospital, why don't you ride with me?"

I looked at the police officer, seeing her kind green eyes peering back at me. She was quite an attractive woman, but that wasn't why I felt drawn to her. She looked safe. Which was obvious because she is a police officer, but you can never know.

"Okay."

She breathed a sigh of relief and gently guided me off the floor with a hand on my arm.

We were walking towards the door when a male officer stepped in front of us. I don't know what suddenly made me so afraid, but I practically tripped over myself trying to get away. The woman officer reached out and grabbed my arm lightly. "It's okay, no one here is going to hurt you." I relaxed slightly at her words but didn't take my eyes off the man. He smiled at me in reassurance, before turning to the woman.

"We caught him. Running east on Maine. He still had the knife in his hands."

She breathed a sigh of relief. "Good. Take him back to the station, but do not question him until I get there."