Four

I silently paced up and down the tile of my kitchen, intently listening to the police scanner that was playing. I had my thumbnail between my teeth as I listened for anything that was remotely meta-based, but there wasn't anything as of yet. I'd had it going the entire time I was unpacking my kitchen supplies, and I was incredibly surprised that nothing was happening. I'd heard so many stories on the news and radio shows about everything that happened in this city, and I was hoping for something as soon as I stepped foot off of the train. I was ready to go and take someone down, but I wasn't given the chance yet. Instead, I was forced to stay inside the open loft and actually unpack all of my boxes and suitcases. Stella was doing a much more efficient job with it than I was, but it was because she wasn't as distracted as I was. I had to keep one ear out the entire time we were unpacking just in case something happened, and I was beginning to think that it was all just wasted time and energy.

When we first came to my new home, Stella was completely taken aback by how open and spacious it was. I told her that it was affordable due to the lack of walls--the barriers in between the "rooms" didn't go up to the ceiling like they would in a normal apartment. It was the definition of one big room, and, while it was unconventional, I loved it. It wasn't the traditional home that most people had, and it felt more like somewhere where I would live and be happy than anywhere else. Stella had helped me set up the bed and kitchen areas, both of us struggling to get the stove hooked up into the right sockets without blowing up the entire building. We were in the painstaking process of putting away all of the dishes and silverware when dinnertime came around, and we took a much-needed and deserved break to order pizza. I ate maybe two slices before I began pacing, but Stella remained in her seat at my tiny, wooden table as she ate, her attention going from the tall window to her right to my pacing every now and again. I could tell that she was puzzled and nervous about my display, and I was honestly just waiting for her to say something about it.

I didn't have to wait too long before she spoke. "Can you please sit down?" She pleaded, putting down her slice of pizza. "You're making me nervous."

"Sorry." I apologized, wiping my damp thumb on my jeans. "I'm just trying to think."

She chuckled, wiping her hands on her napkin before standing up. "You need to calm down, Po. I'm sure that something will come around soon."

"I know, but I want it to happen now. I heard so many stories about this city, and it gave me hope that I would find people that would accept my crime-fighting motives instead of try to hunt me down to put me in a jail cell."

She put up one finger before running off towards the bedroom. I furrowed my brow slightly, not understanding what she was doing until she came back with my Beats Pill in her hands. I rolled my eyes with a smile as she held her hand out. "Give me your phone." I chuckled, pulling the smartphone out of my back pocket and handing it to her. She routinely unlocked it, obviously happy that my passcode hadn't changed for the past seven years. When the screen lit up, confusion took over her features, and my confusion returned. "Why are you reading articles about The Flash?" She inquired, looking up at me.

I shrugged, crossing my arms over my chest. "I figured that it would be good to read up on the guy that I'm going to be helping out around here."

"Po, I thought you were just going after two-bit criminals." I looked at my feet, not wanting to get into this conversation with her right now. "You can't seriously be considering going after meta humans."

"Why not?" I questioned justly. "I mean, if The Flash can do it, why can't I?"

"Because you can't outrun them." She put both of my devices down and put her hands on my upper arms. "Po, these guys don't play nice. They will tear you to pieces if they're given the chance."