Fourteen

I cautiously made my way through the sterile smelling hospital, hating the burning stench that was violating my nostrils. This was one of the last places that I wanted to be, and this man was the last person I wanted to see. I was only here for moral support for Elena and my mother since they had stronger relationships with Michael than I did. He was more gentle with them even though he was still violent and mean towards them. My mother knew that I hated him with every fiber of my being, so she would know that I wasn't here for his benefit. Elena led me down a hallway to where I saw our mother sitting outside of a hospital room. Just by her posture I could tell that she was completely sober. Her leg was bouncing up and down, and she was chewing on her nails nervously. I hadn't seen her do something like that since the last time I was in the hospital because of my father. She only did it whenever she was genuinely worried about someone, and I could tell that she wasn't ready to have the man she married taken away from her even after everything that he had done.

"Mama." Elena spoke, catching our mother's attention.

Her bright blue eyes widened in shock and happiness at my presence, and she jumped up from her seat to hug me tightly. I groaned slightly at the pain that jolted through me, but I hugged her back nonetheless. She smelled of peppermint, like she always did when we were growing up. I always associated her scent with warmth and caring since she was always the one who would clean me up after a beating. She often told me that she was deeply sorry that she couldn't do anything to stop the pain that I was putting myself through, and I knew that it was to protect her name and the company's reputation. I resented her slightly for never standing up for me when I was younger, but, as I grew, I knew that it was because she was trying to make sure that thousands of people didn't lose their job and that my grandfather's name wasn't tarnished because one man didn't know how to control himself or his anger. That didn't mean that I respected her decision, but I did understand why she did what she did.

"It's good to see you, moya kroshka." She said, pulling away from our embrace and brushing some of the hair out of my face. "Having you all the way in Central City is less than desirable."

I chuckled. "I know, mama. But it's where Captain Lance sent me, and I couldn't exactly say no."

She laughed lightly. "Captain Lance. I remember when he was first starting out in the academy, trying to reach Officer Lance."

I smiled. "We've all grown a lot over the years."

She nodded, tucking my hair behind my ear. "I remember when you were a little girl, and you would run around with your little spaceship, talking endlessly about how you wanted to see the stars and be an astronaut."

"Too bad I settled for being a forensic scientist."

"Probably the best one that Central City has ever seen." Elena praised with a smile.

I chuckled. "You should see my partner. He's amazing."

Mom smiled fondly at me. "Are you close with this man?"

I rolled my eyes. "Mama."

"I just want to see you happy, malyutka." She assured me.

"My happiness isn't dependent upon a man, mama." I countered. "I can be happy on my own."

She smiled at me. "We both know that you're happiest when you're with someone who understands you, whether it be a friend like Oliver or someone who means something more to you."

I chuckled lightly, looking down at my feet. "I'm not sure what I feel for him." I said honestly. "I've never felt this way towards someone, so I'm not sure what it is."

Elena put her hand on my shoulder. "Whatever you feel for him, we support you, Po."

I smiled and gave her a small thank you. Mom sighed slightly, and I looked back at her. "Ashton, I know that you don't want to see your father, but I think that this may be one of the last chances you have to speak to him."