Sixteen

A bitter wind blew against my body, making me shiver violently. I crossed my arms over my chest as I waited in line next to Barry. I hadn't brought a coat tonight because I didn't think that it would be this cold, and I was greatly regretting it. I was only clad in a thin sweater, jeans, and heels that I hadn't worn since I graduated from college. It wasn't the best decision on my part, but it was too late to do anything about it. My eyes slowly trailed around the crowd of people filling the sidewalk, trying to see if I could find our suspect. Cisco sent Barry and me out on an incognito mission to trail a drug dealer that was pushing his product on kids and addicts all over the city. We weren't entirely sure if he was a meta or not, but, whenever someone sells as much as he did in a matter of two weeks, you get a little suspicious about how they sell it. He could have the same kind of mental control capabilities that I have, or he might just have a very good scare tactic. Either way, we needed to take him off of the street, and seeings how he was a big superhero fan, we tracked him to the movie theater at the release of one of the newest movies.

Barry chuckled from next to me. "Maybe you should have gone for detective instead of CSI." He stated with a smile.

I chuckled with him. "Recon is the only thing keeping my mind off of the bitter cold that is Central City." I informed him.

"You're cold?"

I nodded, and he started shrugging off his hoodie. "What are you doing?"

He smiled, draping the hoodie over my shoulders. "You'd be surprised at how warm you get when your metabolism runs four times faster than everyone else's."

I smiled up at him, my heart swelling at the small gesture. "Thank you."

He smiled back at me, and it was hard for me to suppress everything that was clawing its way to the surface. I pulled my arms through the sleeves of the jacket, and we both bought tickets to the movie. When we walked inside the warm building, I immediately caught sight of the man that we were tracking, Simon Griffith. He was, quite fittingly, taking a selfie with the cardboard cutout of the movie that we were seeing. I arched my eyebrow at his display, seeing that he was wearing a T-shirt that had the logo for the superhero printed on it, thinking that he might be taking this a tad too far but not calling him out on it. I followed Barry to the line for concessions, making sure to keep one eye on Simon as Barry decided what he wanted to order. I had no idea why it always surprised me that he was always eating, especially since I was eating about as much as he was. I was so caught up in making sure that I was keeping an eye on Simon that I didn't even realize that Barry had bought concession items for me until he handed me a drink and my favorite kind of candy.

"You didn't have to do that." I told him as we walked to the ticket man.

He smiled at me. "It's not a problem, Ashton. Plus, we're supposed to be on a date, and it's chivalrous to buy a lady food on a date."

I arched my eyebrow with a small smirk. "Even when said lady has literally millions of dollars in her bank account?"

He arched both of his eyebrows in shock. "You have that much money in your bank account?"

I chuckled, handing my ticket to the man. "Just because I act like a blue-collar worker doesn't mean that my financial state is that of a blue-collar worker."

"If you have that much money, why are you living where you live?" He asked, trying to not criticize my living arrangement.

I shrugged. "I've lived in everything from upscale homes and wooden hovels. I've found that living more humbly is better for my mental state."

He opened the door to the theater for me, and I thanked him before walking in. "So, you haven't had the experience of worrying about how you're going to pay for rent?"