Thirteen

Ashton

"What is this? A center for ants? How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read... if they can't even fit inside the building?"

"Derek, this is just a small..."

"I don't wanna hear your excuses! The building has to be at least... three times bigger than this!"

I could faintly hear the familiar dialogue as I was slowly coaxed out of my drug-induced haze. My head was throbbing at the overload of sleep, and I groaned softly as everything started to become clearer. I could hear a heart monitor beeping steadily above my head along with the movie that was playing. The room I was in was cold, but there was something like a heavy blanket covering my legs and lower torso. I could feel something round and sticky on my chest, and I was guessing that it was the the heart rate readers that were hooked up into the EKG machine. I moved my right arm slightly, feeling the presence of a needle in the back of my hand. I'd always hated having anything stuck in my arms, but I wasn't exactly in the physical condition to reach over and take it out.

I hesitantly opened my eyes, the bright light making my head hurt even more. I blinked a few times to focus in on everything that was surrounding me. I saw that I was in what looked like a hospital room, but it was obvious that it was Caitlin's lab. I looked around at the familiar scene before looking to my left, seeing Cisco sitting in a chair with his feet propped up on another chair. He was watching Zoolander, a small smile on his face as he watched the light hearted comedy. I furrowed my brow slightly, not understanding what exactly was going on until the pain in my stomach made itself apparent. I remembered what had happened with Barry and Zoom. The feeling of his cold emblem piercing my skin made me shudder slightly, but I did my best to push it to the back of my mind as I looked at Cisco.

"Why are you watching Zoolander?" I asked softly, my voice not allowing me to speak too loud.

He jumped slightly, obviously not expecting me to be awake. He turned the TV off and turned towards me. "Welcome back to the land of the living." He joked.

I smiled slightly, feeling higher than I'd been in a while. "Thanks."

"How are you feeling?"

"Very very fuzzy." He arched an eyebrow slightly. "That's how I feel whenever I get high."

He chuckled with a slight nod. "I guess that makes sense. Do you remember anything about what happened?"

I nodded. "Yeah. Is Barry okay?"

"He's down in The Pipeline. We're monitoring his condition to try and figure out what Zoom did to him, but it isn't looking good at the moment." My face dropped at the less-than desirable news. He stood up and held up one finger. "I'll be right back."

He practically ran out of the room, leaving me to my own devices. I shifted slightly in the bed, feeling the wound in my abdomen screaming in protest. I let out a small, pained groan at the pain that shot through me. It wasn't the worst amount of pain that I'd ever experienced, but it was the most that I'd been in since Joe shot me. Thankfully, I didn't have much time to focus in on my throbbing stomach before Stella came into the room with Oliver in tow. She looked shocked but happy to see that I was awake. I gave her a small, weak smile. It was really all I could do at the moment, but she appreciated the gesture nonetheless. She sat down on the edge of the bed and took my hand in hers, tears beginning to well in her eyes.

"If you start crying, you're going to make me cry." I told her honestly, making her laugh.

"You scared the hell out of me, Po." She chuckled. "I almost collapsed when Oliver called me and told me that you'd been stabbed."