Lullaby

(Part 1 of the Hospital Trio)

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey. You'll never know, dear, how much I love you. Please don't take my sunshine away."

She knew that voice like the back of her hand, yet she never imagined the baritone that lay beneath it. The song was a lullaby, she suspected, one she hadn't heard before. It was all she could hear through all the noises going on in the room, even though they too were hard to ignore- the beeping on one corner of the room, the hushed conversations not far from where she laid upon, and the badly concealed sobs from someone near the doorway. It was maddening, but so was the fact that she was unable to move at all. Why, though? How come she was like this? What had happened? She wanted answers, dammit, and she was going to get them one way or another. But try as hard as she could, she couldn't quite wake up. Not knowing how much time had passed, she finally woke after her billionth time of trying to pry open her eyes. When her eyes adjusted, she saw that almost everyone she knew was cramped around in the tiny room she was, which she know knew was in a hospital. And quite suddenly, she remembered everything.

The drive back home after a horrible argument with her husband.

Not noticing the stupid, yet adorable dog cowering in the middle of the street.

Trying to avoid hitting it, and in the process crashing against a tree herself.

Man, seeing everything now from a different perspective, she now realized that her argument had been stupid indeed. And if she had only spoken as a civilized adult, none of this would've happened. Her thoughts reinforced themselves when she noticed the head that was nestled against her belly in a childlike manner. Trying to raise her hand, she painstakingly stroked her fingers through soft, blonde locks and tried, heavily emphasizing the word tried, to sing the lullaby back. In between gasps, he awoke with a startled gasp.

"I'm sorry," were her whispered words.

And he burst into tears, big huge sobs escaping his wonderful chest.