X-mas

A/N: I know this one is longer, making it a sort of one-shot, but it just had to be done.

oooOooo

(Part 3 of the Hospital Trio)

It was the twenty-fourth of December and all through the house the wonderful smell of turkey could be scented, the aroma of the pine tree in a corner of the living room accenting it. The house looked, and felt, bright with cheer, and all of their friends and family were gathered at their house, sitting by the sofas and loitering around the kitchen, especially Harold. You could hear his whine all around the neighborhood, asking when the food would be done every ten minutes or so. His wife, Patty, had pulled on his ear on multiple occasions, letting him know that dinner would be done and served when it had to. The rest of the gang were comfortably waiting, having quiet conversations about everything in general.

It had been a wonderful week of recovery for Helga, and everyone's help had been a welcome reprieve of all the pain Arnold had gone through. His best friend, Gerald, had been with him all the way, and so had his wife, Phoebe. They had been his rock thorough it all and he thanked God every day for them. What would he have done without their presence at the house, without their much needed words and gentle touches here and there? He never would find out, and he was lucky he didn't need to.

And this day had to be happily celebrated, Helga had said, not moping around her bed and silently crying for her well-being. So everyone had gathered together and made this amazing day work.

As the day went by, and everyone exchanged their presents and ate their fill, one by one they started to leave as they had other compromises to attend to. Even Gerald and Phoebe left, leaving them alone for the first time in a long time.

After he tidied up a bit he went to their room, where he found his wife contentedly reading a book Sheena had gotten her as an extra gift. He smiled at the picture she made, all peaceful and quiet. And to think he had almost lost her…

"Arnold, love, I can hear you thinking from waaaaaay over here. Stop it, please, I'm fine."

He just kept on smiling and walked to her when she offered him her hand. He kissed her palm and placed it on his cheek, staring right at her lovely blue eyes and smiling for what he was worth. "I'm sorry, dove. I just can't get it out of my head."

"Oh for Pete's sake, just sit down, will you? And stop thinking about it, I said I'm alright." He did as she commanded, being mindful of her wounds. They spoke for quite a while, waiting for the night to officially end and morning to begin anew. Arnold ended cuddled against her and he felt content. It had been a long time since he had felt like that.

He blamed what he said next on the fact that it was one in the morning and sleep was getting the best of him. "Oh my dove, it's my entire fault, all of it, and I am SO sorry. It was not my intention to yell at you for something you never did. I feel so ashamed, so-"

Helga quieted him by placing a gentle hand on his cheek and a slow kiss on his lips. "Arnold, you listen here and you listen well. Remember all those years ago, when you used to have dates of your own and they somehow got sabotaged?" When he nodded she continued. "That was me. My stupid, petty jealousy always got the best of me and I ended doing crazy things, all in the name of love." Helga snorted, and then placed her hand on his chest. "If someone at work told me you were seeing someone else behind my back I would totally go into a rage. No it's not distrust, and no, I'll never believe you capable of doing such a thing." She gave him a look as if to say that she was right, and whatever he was going to say was not going to be valid by this point. "The fact is, Arnold, that we still feel insecure with ourselves, our flaws. And we have to fix that to make this marriage work. That's why I don't blame you, my love, that's why I'll never hurt you, unless of course I see you actually cheating on me." At this she winked and gave him a huge, bright smile. "So cheer up, big guy, I'm still here to torment your life just as I've always done."

Arnold couldn't help it. He cried, and it made him feel like a kid again for some reason. Maybe it was the way he sobbed or because it was Christmas, he didn't know. All he knew right now was that his most beloved was by his side, hugging him and letting him cry on her shoulders, carrying his pain with her as well. And she sang that lullaby that he sang to her, and he joined in after he felt remotely calmed down. Then they shared the most bittersweet kiss they ever had, and laid together on their soft, soft bed, Arnold on top of her belly while she stroked his hair. "I love you, my prince." She said after a moment of peaceful silence.

"As do I, my princess."

And they fell asleep, but not before wishing each other a very, Merry Christmas.