Let the Sorting Begin

When the Hogwarts Express finally came to a stop within Hogsmeade, everyone had already managed to get dressed in their school robes and were ready to disembark just a few seconds after arriving at their destination.

Despite all odds, the group of ten managed to stick together as they traveled through the large throng of students that tried to push and shove their way out of the Hogwarts Express. By contrast, Harry and his friends made sure to calmly walk out so they wouldn't get separated.

As Harry took his first steps outside, his booted feet hitting the cement of the platform for the train, the young Potter heir inhaled deeply of the cool night air. Unlike London or even Surrey, the air at Hogsmeade and Hogwarts was always crisp and fresh.

"Firs' years! Firs' years over here!"

Hagrid's large form could be seen towering over the students. Harry's lips twitched when he observed some of the first year students reactions to the monstrously sized man. It was pretty amusing to see a few of them actually take a few steps back in fright. Granted, Hagrid could be pretty frightening to most at first sight.

"Alright," Tracey declared as the group arrived at the carriages. Harry watched as other people got on their own carriages and moved off while his group stood back a ways for the moment due to Tracey stopping them. "We've got to figure out whose going to sit with who... and I call dibs for sitting with Harry."

Hannah and Susan both frowned. So did Lisa, but her's wasn't quite as prominent.

"You got to sit with Harry last time," the blond Hufflepuff stated, crossing her arms under her chest. Harry noticed that she, like some of the others, was beginning to develop. "That means it's someone else's turn to sit with him."

Thus began the debate on who would be sitting next to Harry. It turned out Hannah, Lisa, Susan and Tracey all wanted to sit next to him, though only Hannah and Tracey were seemed to be arguing; Lisa just sort of glanced at the two girls with a small frown while Susan would look like she wanted to speak up occasionally, only to lose her nerve at the last minute.

While this was going on, the others were staring at the at the four girls in fascination.

"Are they really fighting about who get's to sit with Harry?" asked Neville as he stared dumbstruck at the four.

"Looks like it," Terry said.

"Why?"

"Who knows," Blaise shook his head. "There could be any number of reasons, and I for one do not wish to find out what those reasons are. Sometimes, it's just better to not know."

"Like that old saying 'ignorance is a bliss'?" Hermione asked. She was not participating in the great 'who get's to sit with Harry Potter' debate. Really, she didn't see much of a reason for it. The whole thing was pointless.

"Something like that."

Standing beside Harry, also watching the debate with a sort of twisted fascination, Daphne Greengrass shook her head at the group of girl.

"Idiots," she muttered, right before she grabbed Harry's hand and began to pull him along behind her. "Come on. Let them debate this matter on their own. Perhaps they'll eventually realize their argument is pointless if you're not here any longer."

Harry looked back at the group. Susan was the only one who noticed him being dragged off by Daphne. Her eyes widened and she tried to get Hannah's attention by pulling on the sleeves of Hannah's robes. It didn't work. Hannah just shook her off and got back to arguing with Tracey.

"I think that might be a good idea," Harry admitted.

"Of course it's a good idea," Daphne replied blandly. "I'm the one who came up with it."