Herbology

After breakfast, the group of ten split off to their first class of the day. Harry, Hannah, Hermione, Neville and Susan all shared double Herbology, so they were off to the Greenhouses.

"This is going to be the best. We're finally going to get to use Greenhouse three. Did you know they have a Venomous Tantacula in it? Professor Sprout actually let me in once last year when I was helping her plant Shrivelfigs."

Naturally, the most excited of the group was Neville, who was the Herbology expert among them.

"I'm glad someone's excited about Herbology," Hannah groused a bit. "I for one am not looking forward to getting dirt all over my clothes."

"It's not that bad," Susan tried to defend the class their head of house taught. Hannah just gave her friend a mild look of exasperation.

"It is that bad. Last year I ended up getting dirt in my robes because someone thought it would be a good idea to have a mud fight when Professor Sprout went to get an extra pair of gloves."

"If you get dirty again, I'll just spell you clean," Harry offered. "I know a spell specifically made for cleaning dirt off robes."

"Thank you," Hannah said in a tone that was both grateful but also tense, "but I would rather just not get dirty in the first place."

"Wouldn't we all?"

"Isn't Shrivelfig one of the main ingredients in Shrinking Solution and the Elixir to Induce Euphoria?" Hermione asked Neville, who responded to her question eagerly.

"It is, but Shrinking Solution also uses Daisy Roots, Wormwood and Cowbane."

The group soon came upon the Greenhouses. There were three of them not including Professor Sprout's office. The Hogwarts Greenhouses were very long, rectangular structures with a lot of windows on both the walls and roofs to allow the plants inside the necessary sunlight. The roofs were peaked, and running along their tops was a long, serpentine dragon being used for decoration.

Professor Sprout was already waiting for the group of students walking down the lawn.

"We're going to be using Greenhouse three this year," she said without preamble as she held the door open for her students. "Everybody inside."

As soon as Harry stepped inside, the scent of damp earth mingling with fertilizer and the heavy perfume of giant, umbrella-sized flowers dangling from the ceiling nearly overpowered him. It was a horribly heady scent that nearly caused Harry to stumble.

"Are you okay, Harry?" asked Susan, who saw the slight hesitation in his step. Harry cast a glance her way and smiled.

"Yes, I'm fine," he forced himself not to cringe at how the mixture of scents were playing havoc with his nose. Times like these actually made him regret his animagus form. "Thank you."

Susan smiled, her cheeks flushed with a light shade of pink. Harry could not help but think the look really suited her. The girl was rather pretty when she blushed.

He was really beginning to wish he had put earplugs in his ears when his non-magical friend, Lisa, began reading those stories to him. Damn his lack of foresight.

Professor Sprout made to stand behind a trestle bench in the center of the Greenhouse as everyone took their place. Harry found himself standing between Susan and Neville.

"We'll be re-potting Mandrakes today," Professor Sprout began without preamble. "Who can tell me the properties of a Mandrake?"

Harry, Hannah, Hermione and Susan all turned to look at Neville, who flushed a bit under their scrutiny before raising his hand.