Chapter 16

Their mouths were hanging open in shock. Suddenly a question occurred to me.
"Where are mom and dad?"

*James' P.O.V*

My head spun slightly. No one else would understand what this meant. Obviously realising Charlotte has lost all memory since the accident is bad, but thinking mom and dad are alive? This is worse than bad.

Charlotte went through depression when mom and dad died. We both did. But Charlotte has always blamed herself for what happened and has never been the same since. She went months without talking to anyone or even making eye contact. She often skipped meals and was un-able to get out of bed and only did when she was forced to. I used to hear her cry herself to sleep at night at our Aunt's house. There was no one there to help her out of the never ending hole of darkness that she went through. Even I couldn't help her.

I could never take the pain away, but gradually the pain started to reduce. She started to talk more, not a lot, but more than she did. She put the weight on that she lost and stayed healthy. She became happier in general, she wasn't over our parents death. She never would be. But she was on the way to recovering her depression. She never socialised at school and hated attention, so I didn't talk to her that much at school. But when the boys were over that night, I felt it would be an opportunity for her to fully recover and start to socialise a little more. 

Charlotte being Charlotte, didn't realise the effect she has on people. She leaves people, like the boys, wanting to know more, wanting to help her. They immediately loved her. But Adam was different. He didn't even joke about liking her, at the time I was grateful. But now I realise it was to not show his real love for her.

So, Charlotte not knowing about our parents death isn't good. It's terrible. She can't go back to the place she was before. Even if she does have more help this time, she'll push us away, like she did to me last time.

I shared a worried glance with the doctor. How do we tell her? Oh Charlotte nice hair, by the way your parents are dead? No? Didn't think so.

I glanced back at Charlotte's confused face. Should we even tell her? Or should we wait until she gains her memory back herself? If she ever does.. The questions shot through my head at the speed of light.

I turned around to look at Adam. His face showed too many emotions to count. Sadness. Confusion. Excitement. Disappointment.

I realised how hard this must be for him. The girl he loves losing all memory of him. Not even remembering his name, let alone that they were on a date last time she was awake.

"Doctor, a word?" I asked him, nodding to the door. He followed me outside and shut the door.
"Yes Mr. Carter?" He asks. I explained everything to him. The depression, the social anxieties, the way she shut everyone out, how she was so close to recovering and now she's back to step one. Throughout my explanation, he nods, occasionally glances towards the door and writes things down on his clipboard.

"Well, Mr. Carter" he starts,
"James" I correct him.
"James, firstly, this information is very useful for us so thank you. Secondly, it all depends on what amnesia Charlotte has. If it is permanent, then there is a high chance Charlotte will go back into her depression when we tell her. However, if the amnesia is temporary, then she will go through, hopefully, only a few months of depression, before remembering her happier state that she has been in throughout the past few months" he concludes.

I nod slowly, "so her mental state all depends on how severe her amnesia is?" I ask, the doctor nods before carrying on.
"Yes, but forgetting a whole 3 years of your life is a lot, especially at her age, but I can't say anything yet as we have to wait for further information"

I follow the doctor back into the room and he starts to tell Charlotte about the memory tests they are going to be doing.
"Will I be okay?" She questions innocently. It must be weird. Waking up and seeing strange men, no parents and a brother who looks way older than he did when you last saw him.

"Can I talk to James?" Charlotte says. The doctor nods and tells us we have five minuets.

Soon enough, we are the only ones left on the room. "Hey" I say softly.
"Jamie? What's happening?" She asks, years welling up into her eyes. I knew she was just looking strong for the others in the room.
"They're just going to do some tests on you Char" I don't want to scare her.
"Am I okay?" Her eyes widen and her face pales. I nod slowly, not sure how to reply. Is having amnesia being 'okay'?
"Why do you look so old?" She blurts out. I chuckle nervously. Maybe because I'm eighteen now? "I got a haircut" I reply with a small shrug. She lifts her head slightly to get a better view. She mumbles something to herself.

"Where are mom and dad?"
"What?" I ask.
"No one answered me the first time, where are they?" She says stubbornly. Luckily at that moment the door flys open and the doctor is saying time is up. Saved by the doctor. I chuckled to myself.

I went back outside and saw them closing the door to ask Charlotte some questions and do some scans. I looked to my left and saw Adam sitting on a seat, his head in his hands. He noticed my presence. "She doesn't know who I am" his voice shakes, "she had no idea.." He trails off towards the end.
"The doctor said she could have temporary amnesia" I say trying to brighten his mood a little.
"Yeah, or permanent" he whispers and breaks down into tears. I pull him to stand up and hug him.

He must really love her..

Our moment was broken off by the doctor stepping out of her room. We ran up to him, like kids running to an ice cream on a sunny day. He was smiling. That's good right? Or he feels sorry for us...

"Well boys, I have some good news and bad news" he says slowly. "Good news is, it is temporary amnesia" he said happily. A flood of relief washes through me. She is going to be okay. Adam doesn't look as happy, his forehead is creased with suspense.
"And the bad news?" Adam asks.

"We think that her memory is going to come back in the form of dreams" he pauses, letting us take it in. "So the bad memories, like your parents funeral, her depression and the crash itself will be nightmares. But the happy memories will come back as well. It is very diverse but by the sounds of it" he looks at me, "the memories she has had throughout the past three years haven't been the best..." I nod, thinking of her having depression, not talking, not eating.

"But, there will also be false memories" false memories? The doctor takes in our reaction and continues. "These dreams may include you two being hurt, or hurting her, or even her parents being alive. Meaning you'll have to help her realise which ones are true and which ones aren't"

I nod, understanding what will happen. I try to picture it, her waking up thinking that I have hurt her. I feel sick at the thought. How will she trust me with these dreams?

"We are going to have to keep Charlotte in overnight, but she should be okay to be release tomorrow morning" the doctor finishes.

Me and Adam exchange a worried glance. We don't have to speak to know what is on both of our minds.

False memories.

________________________

Oh my god guysssss., this is the longest chapter in the wholeeeee book..
Poor Charlotte. And James. And Adam. That Jadam bromance moment though aw.

I got the inspiration for false memories from the Hunger Games as I finished all the books a couple of weeks ago!

You may have noticed, I have done some MAYJOR editing during the week on the earlier chapters so I'm sorry about that

Enjoy the chapter babes, also thank you too ALL of you for reading this book, I can't believe how many of you there are. It's insane. Thank you all!
Grace :)xox