Chapter 21

THANK YOU SO SO SO SO MUCH FOR 10K+ READS!!!!! THATS MENTAL AND I NEVER THOUGHT THIS BOOK WOULD GET THAT FAR!thank you to every single one of you for reading- know that you can pm me any time, wether it's for a chat or you need advice or it's about my book! THANK YOU ALL I LOVE YOU! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

"See you in the morning, call me if you need anything" he whispers and pulls the door shut behind him.
What just happened?

*Charlotte's P.O.V*

I woke up feeling horrible. I knew that the day ahead was not one to look forward to and I had a nervous feeling about seeing James.

I'm trying hard to get my head round whether last night was a dream, would Adam really drown me? Surely, he must've because of James' reaction. But why hadn't James kicked him out so sooner?

Questions ran through my head lightning speed. I couldn't get my head around, Adam- the nice sweet guy who was forever challenging me on Mario Cart would drown me.

I couldn't get the image of James' face when he saw Adam with me in my room. It was like the dream I had, his eyes were distant and his voice was not the soft voice I grew up with. It was a James I never see and one that I don't want to see again.

I looked at my phone to check the time, I had been awake for several hours now, drowned by my thoughts. No pun intended. I also saw hundreds- I literally mean hundreds- missed calls and texts from Adam. I suddenly became very angry.

How dare he text and call me when he tried to drown me?! What is wrong with him? The reality was hitting me hard.

He actually tried to kill me.

Why?

I have no idea.

I sighed. I couldn't deal with all of this. I got up and headed towards the shower, grabbing a white fluffy towel on the way. I got into the shower and let the warm water sooth my aching muscles. I rolled my shoulders, which clicked as I did so. After a fairly long shower of trying to free my mind, my thoughts were still preoccupied with Adam.

I walked downstairs and into the kitchen. A note on the side catches my eye. It read;

I'm going out now, it's 11:30 and I can hear the water running upstairs so I assume your in the shower. I'll be back soon, stay safe.

James xxx

I smiled as I read it, knowing that my kind, caring brother could never be the one that was in my dreams. Well, nightmares.

I put the popcorn into the microwave, frantically grabbing a bowl and some chocolate before the 'ding' of the microwave went off.

I was undefeated at this game.

I won, obviously. I took the popcorn out of the microwave before breaking up the pieces of chocolate and putting them into the empty bowl. I put the bowl into the microwave, taking it out every thirty-or-so-seconds to mix.

Once it was all melted, I poured it over the popcorn and smiled- my favourite.

I went back up to my room and grabbed my quilt and pillows, a small smile on my face as I did so. I trudged back down the stairs and into the living room. I put in the movie 'It's a Boy Girl Thing' and prepared me myself for a lot of giggles.

This is what I needed. Something just to take my mind off of the usual struggles of life.

I curled up on the sofa, wrapping my quilt around me like a cocoon. I began to think.

Why does my life have to be so god-damned confusing? Why couldn't I have a simple life? One with two parents, a bunch of nice friends at school, be healthy and not have any problems?

Believe me, I'm so, so grateful for what I have. I know there are people out there with no-one. At all.  I'm blessed to have as good a brother as James. Not everyone has people who care so much about them as I do.

I pushed all my thoughts away and began to watch the movie, slowly munching on my chocolate-covered-popcorn.

***

I was now four-movies into the day and I still haven't heard anything from James. I sighed, putting the 5th movie into the DVD player. It was 'A Cinderella Story', I sighed why could my life be like hers? Why haven't I found my Prince Charming yet?

*Adam's POV* (AHHHHHHH!)

There was a loud knock at the door. I grunted angrily, huffing as I stood up. It's probably my dad or one of his colleges. Or his 'secretary'.

I stomped to the door, glancing in the mirror on the way. The reflection didn't match my appearance. The man in front of me looked like a tired little boy, his hair sticking up in different places, bags underneath his eyes, his face red and puffy. His eyes looked preoccupied, with troublesome thoughts.

I yanked the door open, my eyes slightly widening at who was there.
"James?" My voice croaked as I stepped back, indicating he should come in. He shook his head.

"How could you do it?" He asks me angrily, his eyes squinting slightly. My eyebrows furrow,
"What do you mean?" I ask slowly. He scoffs,
"You heard me" he replies with his voice as hard as nails.
"James, I don't get it. What are you—"

"YOU GOD-DAMNED KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT" he shouts, gripping my collar and pushing me against the wall. "LYING TO ME ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED AT THE STUPID LITTLE DATE OF YOURS" he continues, his face growing red.

I pause, his words sink into me slowly. I shook my head vigorously, "James, what I told you we true. It was an accident I swear!" My voice raises towards the end.

Whatever Charlie saw in that dream was not what happened. She drowned by accident! What kind of sick, sick person would do that especially to a beautiful, caring girl like Charlie? Not me, that's for sure. To this day I still can't get the image of her, laying lifelessly at the bottom of the sea. Because of me. She almost lost her life, because of me. She's having dreams that will haunt her forever, because of me. Nothing could ever express how guilty I feel about what happened. Since then, I've tried to act okay- for everyone's sake, hoping that maybe one day it'll all pass over.

It hurt every time I slept over James' and heard her screams in the night. It hurt when I knew that I couldn't be the one to help her get passed it all, because I was the one who cause it. And it hurts knowing that she would think that I could do this on purpose.

James gave me a disgusted look as he dropped me to the ground as his phone rang.

"This isn't over Westfield"

___________________________

I'm so sorry I haven't updated in so long! I've missed you guys.. Another huge thank you for 10k+ reads. That's actually insane!

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoy!

Also a massive shout-out to a very good friend of mine because she has an amazing book that is almost finished you HAVE to go check it out! Hopefulgirlgrace ! (No we aren't the same person, we just share the same name haha)

Grace :) xox