Chapter 25

But not before I saw the same recognisable grey car drive past. With a certain recognisable face looking through the window.

*Charlotte's P.O.V*

It was him. I shut the door as fast as I could and sprinted the other way, back in to the empty kitchen. I looked around to find James but he was nowhere to be seen. I could hear the car stopping in the gravel on our driveway. I tried to keep my breathing calm and my shaking fingers straight as I heard the murderer's footsteps approach the front door.

The murderer.

It suddenly dawned on me that I hadn't contacted the police about his attempt to murder me. Neither had James to my knowledge. But a part of me felt like I couldn't , I couldn't go round getting my friends jailed for some messed up memory that came but in a dream and that I don't even—

The doorbell rang, pulling me into reality in an instant. Silence echoed through the house.
"I'll get it!" James called from upstairs, his thumping feet making a noise on each step as he ran down them, he could never be a detective.. Or anything discreet.

I heard the familiar clicking sound of James unlocking the door and the creak of the hinges as it opened wide. I heard a loud sigh, I want sure who it came from. I tip-toed closer to the hallway so I could hear them a little more clearly. I hid around a corner, both boys just a few metres away from me.

"I was hoping Charlie would answer" he chuckled nervously.

Charlie. His voice. The way he said my name gave me shivers down my neck.

"I bet you were" James broke through the humerus moment with a voice as hard as nails, "just so you could try to kill her again?" James voice raises as I slightly cringe backwards, it's the whole 'brother protecting sister thing' I can't stand. I can fight my own battle, which in my way is running away from them.. But that's still fighting them!

"Look James it wasn't like that" Adam protested calmly.
"THEN WHAT WAS IT LIKE ADAM?!" My brother shouts, sounding like someone totally opposite to my usual caring brother. Once again I cringed backwards, but this time away from James - he isn't safe when he's angry. And he is angry. "WHAT WAS IT LIKE?" His shouting voice rings through my head as I out my hands over my ears.

"What happened was..." Adam pauses, "Charlie can you please stand out from behind the fucking wall" he says, I can imagine him rolling his eyes as he speaks.

How did he even know I was here? I'm like freaking James Bond. Regardless, I begin to make my way out from behind the 'fucking wall'... Oh.

As I start to walk, before I'm even in sight of the boys, I trip and fall backwards onto the dining table, which is wooden, I flail my arms out to try and protect my fail but I end up knocking one of the chairs - which is going to leave a bruise - and whacking my head on the table itself. I don't even know how many body parts I just hit on the table but I made a loud crash I know that much. I let out mumbled curses as I stand up from behind the wall.

"Did you call my wall a hoe? Cause you said a 'fucking wall' and I think that's pretty offensive to be honest. I don't even think many people have fucked my wall do be honest. Like would you like to be called a hoe?" I ask, directing my question at Adam.
"Well that's quite an entrance you made there" he said, the corners of his lips lifting up to a small smile.

My face flushed red as I rubbed my arm that I hit on the table, already feeling a bruise forming.

"Uh.. Yeah.. Well, huh, you know me" I say between awkward pauses. His lips raise more into a smile but he abruptly stops and frowns. I look around, only to find my brother giving him a death stare.

"What happened was..." My brother repeats Adams words, urging him to carry on. Although I know that James won't listen to Adam whatever he says.

"Oh.. Uh, yeah, about that" he pushed to rub his neck awkwardly, I look down to the ground, letting my messy, golden hair fall in front of my face. The floor suddenly becomes a lot more interesting than the scene around me.

"Charlie" he whispers, "please look at me," I look up and meet his brown eyed gaze. He begins to speak, "I never, ever meant to hurt you"
"Never meant to hurt her? Well what do you think—"
"James!" I raise my voice, beginning to get angry, "let him speak, we have to do this sooner or later" I finish, giving him a look. He looks down, mumbling curses underneath his breath. I look up at Adam and found his eyes on me, a look of thanks crossed through his eyes, but his face looked slightly screwed up as if he were hurt. I ignore it and nod at Adam to carry on.

He took a deep breath a closed his eyes,
"I never meant to hurt you" he repeats himself before continuing. "As you know, we were on our first date, well fake date. And i had brought you to the beach on a weirdly sunny day in November. I'd convinced you to come into the water, I had picked you up without you expecting it and thrown you into the water before you had gotten to protest. As soon as I realised you weren't coming up I dived into the water and pulled you back out again. I called the ambulance straight away and you were put into a coma. I never meant to hurt you Charlie, it was an un-funny prank and I didn't think of the consequences before I did it. I am so sorry" he finishes, with a deep sigh as he looks down to the floor.

Before I can process anything he had said, his head  snapped up, he added softly, "And James. I don't expect you to forgive me but please know that I'm telling you the truth and that I never meant for any of this to happen. I really didn't want it to come in between our friendship" he spoke maturely, more mature than I'd ever heard him speak. It's like he had aged in the past month, he wasn't himself that's for sure. Messy hair, bags underneath his eyes, dressed in sweats and a t-shirt he looked like he'd been dressed in for moths.

The words he'd said hadn't gone through my head yet. It was an accident?

"That's all I wanted to say" he pauses and looks at me in the eyes, "please forgive me Charlie" he whispers, his eyes becoming bloodshot and distant. I couldn't even trust myself to speak. My vision blurred as I saw his retreating figure make its way towards the door, he pulled a box out of his pocket of his sweatpants and lay it on the windowsill next to the door. "Merry Christmas" he gives the slightest smile me fore disappearing off outside and closing the door behind him.

I didn't move until I heard the sound of his car drive away, yet even then I was still frozen in place with shock.

"Merry Christmas" I whisper to myself.

________________________________

HIYA MY AMAZING READERS!

I am so so so so so so sorry for not updating for such a long time, as a terrible excuse I was on holiday for a while and couldn't post then but I am so sorry! Hopefully *crosses fingers* i will be updating a lot more now :)

Thank you so so so soooooo much for 23k! It's amazing to know that people enjoy my story.

Please don't forget to vote and comment as I love to know your thoughts!

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter, it was pretty hard to write to be honest.
#JAMESTHESAVAGE
DO WE LOVE ADAM OR DO WE LOVE ADAM?
#MERRYCHRISTMASINAUGUST ...
Grace :) xox