Chapter 27

(IM SORRY I HAVEN'T UPDATED IM THE WORST I KNOW XXX)

Charlie?" He calls, I turn back around to him, "I'll see you around" he smirks, waving. I nod and turn towards the exit.
But I swear I saw a small sparkle in his eye.

*Charlotte's P.O.V*

"Char get your ass down here!" James shouted from the kitchen downstairs. I rolled my eyes and climbed out of bed, it was six in the afternoon and the last day of winter break, no way was I waisting it.

I'm hoping that whatever my brother called me downstairs for was worth it. He hadn't spoken to me since he picked me up from the town earlier, I think he was angry with me. Suddenly had a thought, I know something. I grabbed the American Apparel bag from underneath my bed and skip downstairs cheerfully.

I burst into the kitchen, "Jamieeeee" I sang, he grunts and continues slicing the pizza without looking up, "look what I have for you!" I say with a smile and hand him the bag.

He looks up from the pizza and smiles, wiping his hands on his jeans "now? What did I do to deserve this?" He said a small smile playing on his lips. He open the bag and pulled out the top "how did you know that I wanted this? I swear the only person I told was..." he looked up at me in question. I shrugged and smiled
"the best magicians never tell their secrets". His face was still deadly serious
"Char, i'm serious this isn't a joke, did you see him?"

"He works in American apparel, he came up to me and told me that you liked this shirt. What was I meant to do, ignore him?" I defended myself. "Plus it's your Christmas present so you have to accept it" I said with a small smile. He rolled his eyes
"thanks anyway" he returned my smile. "But I don't want you taking to him again" he says sternly, back in overprotective brother mode.

The doorbell rang, "who's that? "I whispered to James. He gave me a pleading look that said 'oh shit sorry' and opened the front door.
The two males greeted at the door and the visitor turned to me with with his arms open. I awkwardly hug him. "Hey Dustin" I say as enthusiastically as I could. I turned to James, "are you serious?" I mouthed to him as Dustin took off his shoes. He just shrugged at me and gave me a look, "be nice" he mouthed back.

Don't get me wrong, Dustin is great and we used to be really good friends but, I'm not really one for company anymore. Even James irritates the hell out of me sometimes.

I feel like Dustin expects me to be the same outgoing girl I was before my parents died. Which is something I can't give him.

"I'll go see if the foods ready" James smiled, scurrying off to the kitchen where I know full well the sliced up pizza is.
"Me too!" I exclaim and follow James into the kitchen, telling Dustin to go through to the living room.

"Dude what the hell!" I shout-whisper to James.
"Look Char, I don't mean to be rude but I'm literally the only person you talk to at the moment, you need to get some friends!"

"Seriously James, I think we both know what happened last time you introduced me to some friends" I sighed, referring to Adam. James gives me a look of disappointment, shaking his head and walking out to the living room with the food.

***

The whole dinner was awkward to be honest, Dustin kept asking questions about me and James kept cracking crappy jokes like a forty year old dad would. I laughed along and answered all the questions with a fake, tight smile.

I couldn't wait for it all to be over so I could go back to my bed.

Oh god. I sound like an agoraphobiac.

I give Dustin a small wave as he gets back into his car and close the front door. I turn to James, squinting my eyes at him. We stood there for about two minutes before he asked, "what are you doing?".

I don't move, still squinting, "killing you with my eyes" I say angrily, "why would you do that? That was one of the most awkward meals of my life!".

He laughs and shoves my shoulder, "go watch Netflix or something" he chuckles, pointing me towards the stairs. I roll my eyes but obey because, what else will I do?

A thought occurs to me, I have Starbucks Boy's number! I pull out my phone and close my bedroom door.

Okay Charlie, time to be sociable. You know? Make friends. Okay lets do this. You got this.

I prep myself and press on the number and begin typing a message.

Hey!

No. Too excitable, don't want him to think I'm desperate for friends or anything. Ha ha. Ha ...

Hello.

Nope. To formal, I'm not the queen or anything. C'mon Charlie, think!

Greetings Earthling!

Nooooooo. Too weird, I'm not a psychopath or anything. He he. He he ..

I got back to the start and settle with 'hey.' (Minus the exclamation mark because it gives me anxiety)

Hey. It's Charlie, you gave your number to me in Starbucks earlier?

Send.

Nice one Char, smooth. I like your style.

He reads it.

He types. For a very long time. Then nothing.

Can't have been that smooth then huh.

You probably don't remember me aha sorry.

He doesn't read it.

Um sorry.. I guess you probably give your number to loads of girls aha.. I'll just go..

He doesn't read it.

I read over the messages. Oh God, I'm such an idiot – I've barely even spoken to the guy once and I've already made myself look like a complete dipshit. A few minutes pass and he still hasn't replied. I put my head in my hands, this whole socialising thing a lot harder than I anticipated.

My phone buzzes.

Starbucks guy: Hey 👋🏼

_____________________________

IM SO SO SORRY IM A CRAPPY PERSON XXXXXX

LOVE YOU ALL AND I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THIS CHAPTER.

I just want to say I'm so grateful for all of you so thank you so much fro reading this.

Lots of love,

Gracie :)xox

PS! New short story up called "Fake Number" the first few calls are up! Xx