CHAPTER 9

CHAPTER NINE

BEFORE TONIGHT, I hadn't thought of myself as anyone particularly special. As much as I wanted to be the one in the limelight, I was fairly comfortable with the way I was, cast in the shadows of the people that truly shone with brightness. Just like anyone else, I had hoped to be special and unique in a way that made me positively stand out but never had I imagined that one day it would be true.

Apollo's aunt had managed to work magic. When I had looked in the mirror after the entire makeover, I couldn't help myself but burst into a flabbergasted babble, rambling on about how my personal fairy godmother had done a fabulous job to upgrade my appearance; even if it was just for a night.

"This... Wow, thank you!" I smiled, twirling around on the spot as I watched the hem of the dress fly with the momentum. Elizabeth had paired the masterpiece of a dress with pointed-toe white heels that had golden finishes and a gorgeous white leather clutch. "This is amazing."

"You are welcome to keep this entire set." Elizabeth smiled as she adjusted my curls, forming them neatly around my face since they had flown a little out of place when I had twirled around.

My eyes widened in surprise. "But... I can't! These are yours." I protested, eyebrows furrowed as Elizabeth only flashed me a soft smile.

"When Apollo called me in for a favor, I had not for a single second thought that he would ask me to design a dress for a girl. The first thing that went through my mind was how he had never made such a request before. He never really had many friends, you see. He had always chosen to keep to himself when he was in his old school and it was a problem his mother had complained countless of times about. This dress is literally made for you so you better take good care of it." Beaming, she swung the door wide open for me to pass, nudging her head towards its direction. "Go on now. He's waiting for you and I am sure that you both will have a wonderful time."

When I stepped out of the guestroom of Apollo's home and began my way down the large curling steps, I had to try so hard to contain my laughter as well as the fury of a full-blown blush when I noticed how Apollo's lips were slightly agape as his eyes were fixated onto my every movement. His line of sight trailed after every step in which I took towards him, unblinking throughout.

He, too, was dressed mighty fine in a black tuxedo and a gray tie tucked neatly behind the blazer. My heart was pounding in my chest for he looked all too dashing and it took me my entire willpower to stay upright and continue walking on as if he had not affected me in the slightest bit.

When I reached the bottom of the stairs, he held out his hand for me to take which I took in a heartbeat. At that moment, he had gifted me the rare smile of his. Not a smirk, not a grin, just a smile which held all the sincerity in the world.

"You look beautiful." He breathed, voice airy as I resisted a bright smile of my own.

"You don't look too shabby yourself." Grinning, I casually adjusted the collar of his blazer, desperately trying not to look at him directly in the eyes. I was too afraid that if I did, I would just be caught within those endless blue irises for they resembled the sky that went on for infinity.

"I...um..." He cleared his throat, taking a small step away from me and I allowed my hands to fall back to my sides. "I have a gift for you. As an apology for making you wait so long."

From behind him, he withdrew a blue box with a silver necklace inside, finished with a dainty silver key as the pendant. I gasped, lightly touching the pendant with as little force as possible, too afraid that it would snap if I pressed it too hard.

"I chose this pendant because I want to remind you that you own the key to your happiness, not anyone else. Hopefully, seeing it in the mirror will help you remember even if I am no longer there." He withdrew the necklace from the box, holding it up expectantly. "May I?"