CHAPTER 32

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

IT WAS A domino effect, rippling through the water and breaking the smooth surface of the water. The glass-like resemblance was shattered, turned to a thousand shards that split from the main piece. One move, one pebble thrown into the water can, and will, cause a disturbance and this was very much similar to our lives.

For me, however, it wasn't just a pebble that had been thrown my way. It was a huge rock, a giant stone that was plunged into my life and destroyed the serenity I had grown up with.

Popularity was such a beautiful thing. But like many other beautiful things, it also caused me pain and confused me to no end. The news of Jacob and I's apparent new era together spread through the school like a wildfire. Everywhere I went, every person that walked past me, had something to say about our 'relationship'.

What peeved me greatly was that although Jacob had asked me to go on a date with him, he had never specifically asked for me to be his girlfriend. I, in turn, had not accepted. Yet, when bombarded with questions by both his friends and the rest of the student body, Jacob made no visible move to deny it. In fact, it seemed as though he quite liked how it all turned out. I was a hypocrite, though, seeing as to how I've made no effort in correcting their mistake.

We were walking down the hall, ready to get out of school when Lana and Felicity walked to my side. The girls each slipped an arm through mine, linking us together as Felicity subtly pushed Jacob to a side.

"A new mall opened up a few streets down earlier in the month, Iridessa," Felicity started, her voice containing the usual chirp of a songbird.

"We were wondering if you would like to come with us," Lana continued the sentence.

"I..."

"Woah woah woah, do I not get a say in this?" Jacob chuckled, pulling me away from them. His hand rested on the curve of my hip, staying there firmly as Lana folded her arms across her chest.

"How are we to become best of friends if you're constantly in the way of that, Jake?" Lana scoffed.

"Who says Iridessa even wants to be your friends? Right, babe?" Jacob turned to smile at me, a sparkle in his eye to indicate he was joking.

I slowly nodded once, eyes glued on him. "Erm... I feel like that's a trick question."

"Nonsense." This time, it was Felicity that spoke up. She wrapped her fingers around my forearm, pulling me over to her side. "Of course Iridessa wants to be our friend. You can't exactly trust her in the hands of those losers, can you?" Felicity threw a glare at a group of students a little further down the aisle, people that clearly did not fit in with the rest of Felicity's snobbish posse.

"Not today, at least," Jacob argued. "We have a date planned out. Call me selfish but I want to have her all to myself."

"You do?"

"We do?" I questioned him, speaking in sync with both Lana and Felicity.

"Yes," he dragged the word, rolling his eyes. "And we should really go now. See you girls in school tomorrow!"

Leaving no space for them to argue, Jacob slipped his hands in mine, intertwining our fingers together before yanking me along with him. I had to jog slightly to keep up with his speed, swerving through the crowd of students that were all clambering to leave the school compound as soon as they can.