CHAPTER 15

[A/N]:

I was rushing to get this chapter up before New Year's Day (as I am writing this, it is now New Year's Eve) so I am so sorry if there are still any grammatical errors in sight.

Wishing everyone a prosperous New Year and may all your dreams come true.

xx aurora

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

THAT WAS HOW I was, all of a sudden, on a plane flight headed towards the grand city of New York without so much as a warning to my parents. To think that I would all of a sudden become so bold of a soul, seated upon a plane flying long hours away from my home without any sort of note left.

The metal monster that surrounded me creaked, trembling as the engines went hard at work. I jittered in my seat, legs quaking violently as I fumbled with my fingers. From the seat right beside mine, Apollo was reading the newspaper, his eyes barely even leaving the black and white words.

"And why are you fidgeting like crazy?" He asked with a slight drawl in his tone, flipping to the next page almost too casually.

"I don't like taking the plane." I bit my bottom lip, peering out of the window on my right only to see an endless clear blue sky and no ground in sight. Swallowing the bile in my throat, I forced my eyes tightly shut. "And I don't like being away from the ground."

"Flying is fun, Dessa. There's nothing to worry about. We are perfectly safe."

"Tell that to all the poor victims of accidents and crashes," I mumbled under my breath, voice barely even above a whisper.

To my astonishment, the warmth of Apollo's hand enveloped my own, taking my hand in his as he rubbed small circles on the back of my hand with his thumb. When I looked over at him, Apollo's eyes had not even left the newspaper. Now, instead of using two hands like before, he used a single hand to prop up the newspaper, reading it leisurely.

"Get some rest, sunshine." A small smile graced his lips as his sparkling blue eyes darted over to look at me for a split second. "We will be up for the entire night once we're there. You'll need all the energy that you can get."

"What's the plan after we are there?" I asked, leaning my head against the headrest as I shut my eyes. Apollo was right. If I wanted to be able to burn through the night, I would need to start resting up as much as possible now while we still had time to kill.

"Head back to my place to put our bags. Then, the real adventure begins."

His words were like a lullaby, singing promises into my ears as I started to drift off to sleep. With my mind light and airy, feeling as though I was a hundred miles away, I soon found myself pulled in by the siren's song, venturing deep within the realms of a dream that I would soon end up forgetting.

-----

Unlike the original nervousness that tainted my soul when we took off, the landing was pretty easy to take in. For one thing, the outside of the plane was in a flurry of white, snow decorating every inch of the airport building as workers desperately tried to plow the snow away. The sun had already long set, darkness now stretching for miles into the distance. Such a wonder it is how the days were shorter during the winter. Then again, that would mean that the nights would be longer, leaving me with more time to rest and recuperate.

In other words, dream.

"Where to first?" I was much more eager now than before the flight, luggage in hand right after we collected it from the baggage claim. Apollo, whose eyes were scanning the area thoughtfully, only sparred me a single glance before returning to his silent observation.