Chapter Five

Chapter Five

I made sure to charge the Prius up when I got home, so that I didn't forget the next time I went out. "You're lucky it was you driving that car" a voice called from behind me, as I plugged the car in.

I turned to see Corey standing in entrance of the garage. "What do you mean? It's partly my car".

"Selson and I have a deal. Until Christmas I get the Prius and he gets my bike". He folded his large arms over his muscled chest. "So you're lucky it was you driving it, because I would have been mad at anyone else. But I can't be mad at my future wife".

"You've been driving the Prius?" I asked in shock, as I pulled the shopping out the back. Corey walked over and grabbed the last bag for me; shutting the trunk behind me.

"I injured my leg in football last semester, and the doctor says I can't drive my bike at the moment. So Selson and I did a switch. But, honestly, we pretty much had already swapped. I like the Prius, easier to have sex in". He shot me a crooked smile, as we headed up to my room.

"You know, I'm shocked. The reason Selson doesn't drive it, is because he doesn't think he'll be able to pick up girls in it" I laughed, as I kicked my bedroom door opened. Corey followed me in.

"You just have to know which girls it will impress. For example, if you charge it up outside the art block, it works a treat. Hippie, art students, fucking love the whole 'save the planet' angle. Can get about five phone numbers when a class lets out".

"You're actually unbelievable" I shook my head at him, as I unloaded the food into Jude's mini fridge. Corey took a seat on my bed, glancing through my purchases. He took an apple out, and bit into it. "Hey, don't touch that. Not unless you're going to pay me for it".

"Can I pay you in sexual favours?" he asked. I gave him a look, which showed him how much of a bad idea that was. He boomed out a laugh at me, biting into apple mockingly. I rolled my eyes at him, not seeing the point of fighting with him.

"Why aren't you in class?" I questioned, taking an apple for myself.

"Got cancelled. The Professor broke his leg skiing or something" he gave a shrug of uncaring.

"You're taking sports science, right?"

"Stalking me now, beautiful?" He was pleased.

"No, you left your text book in the Prius" I told him bluntly, and he gave a dramatic sigh in upset. I rolled my eyes at him, as I pulled my phone from my pocket to find a text message from Chad – who had shown me around the day before.

'Dinner tonight?' it read.

'Don't you have some big game tonight, Quarterback?' I quickly text back.

"Who are you texting?" Corey asked, looking up at me from the bed with curious eyes. "Are you cheating on me? Because whoever it is, I'm sure they haven't got what I've got in my pants". He pointed to his crotch.

'Thought we'd established I was a line backer?' Chad text back, and my lips titled up in a small reply, as I text a witty retort.

"Stop smiling at your phone" Corey grumbled, "you're making me jealous".

"You don't even know I'm texting a guy". I rolled my eyes at him, as I slipped my phone into my pocket and opened up my closet.

"Ah, so you're texting a girl? Because now I'm getting very nice visuals" he hummed. I didn't even dignify his words with an answer. I simply found my bag in the bottom of my closet, and began packing it full of stuff. "What you doing?"

"Ignoring you".

"If you're ignoring me, then you wouldn't have answered that question" he smirked, and I glowered at him – which just made his smug look grow. I threw a towel, and my beach wear into the bag, before taking my camera case from the back of my closet. "Oh, nice, are we going to take some dirty pictures together?"

"Do you actually ever shut up?" I sighed, not really annoyed but pretending to be.

"Nope" he replied, popping the 'p'. I just rolled my eyes to the heavens, before heading into the bathroom and shutting the door behind me. I quickly pulled my bikini on, before pulling a loose fitting yellow sundress over the top.

"That colour looks amazing with your Indian skin" Corey stated, the moment I stepped out the bathroom.

"Please stop saying Indian. I'm Native, I hate people calling me a Red Indian".

"Sorry. That colour looks amazing with you Native skin" he corrected. I nodded my gratitude. "If you're heading to the beach, can I come?"

"No, I'm meeting someone else" I lied. It was nothing against Corey that I didn't want him to come. Alright, it was, but it wasn't because I didn't like him. Corey talked a lot, and I just really wanted some quiet time with my photography for a while.

Corey let out a dramatic sigh, "you're seeing someone else".

"Yes, I am. I'm leaving you for Juan. I'm pregnant with his baby, and we're running away back to Mexico together".

"Damn you Juan. Why must you always do this to me?" Corey yelled, fisting shaking in the air as he screamed to the air.

"If you love me, you'd let me go" I whispered.

"Never. I will never let you leave" he yelled. I opened the door and walked out. I heard his voice from the stairways. "You may have one this round Juan, but mark my words, next time it will be a fight for the death".

I laughed to myself, as I headed down the stairs and towards the door. "Did Corey just say he wanted to fight me?" I heard Juan say from the lounge.

"Don't know man, probably" someone else replied. I laughed again, as I left the house. I took a slow walk to the beach, texting Chad as I went. I arranged for him to pick me up at seven to take me on our date – and it would be a date, neither of us had clarified that but we both knew. I wasn't sure how Selson would take that, but I didn't really care.

Even though it was a Monday morning, the beach in LA was still busy. I placed my towel on the beach, and stripped my dress off. I took a seat on the towel, and sipped a drink – that'd I brought on the way out. It was hot, and I knew the importance of keeping hydrated. I was a marathon runner, it was drilled into me.

Pulling my camera out my bag, I glanced over the pictures I had saved on the memory card. I flicked through the pictures of my local forest, of my town, of my running routes. I paused when I came across a picture of me.

I was sitting in a wheat field, wearing a black dress and sneakers, with my hair blowing crazily in the wind. I was laughing gleefully, reaching for the camera. I looked happy, I looked younger. My ex-boyfriend Parker had taken the picture, and I remembered the day very well.

I felt tears prickling my eyes, so I turned the camera off and took a deep breath. I didn't want to think about Parker, or talk about Parker, or ruin my late summer by having Parker Owen in my mind. I shook myself, reminding myself to get my shit together.

I spent the majority of the day at the beach; either sunbathing, or reading, or taking pictures of the surrounding landscape. When afternoon came, I headed back to Beta Beta, to find Selson pulling a black motorbike into the garage.

"You're supposed to wear a helmet on that thing" I frowned, as he skidded to a stop next to me. My brother sent me a grin that would have most girls swooning, it just made me glare harder at him.

"Firstly, I'm the older sibling here, I'm the one who's supposed to be lecturing you on safety issues. And secondly, how can I pick up girls if I have a helmet on? They won't see this beautiful face and instantly lose their clothing now would they?"

I slowly shook my head at him, "you're every father's worst nightmare".

"But I'm an idol for every; teenage, acne covered, glass wearing, horny virgin everywhere". He offered me a bright smile, as he hopped off the bike and threw his arm over my shoulder. "Come on, Alory Bear, you know you love me" he sung. I punched him in reply.