Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

I didn't say anything to Corey as we sat in the back of the taxi, my hands in his as we drove away from LAX. All I wanted to do was go home and take Corey back with me, and stay inside the bubble we had had for the previous day.

We spent most of the night having sex, as well as a better part of the morning, and I had not felt so safe in a long time. Before when Corey had flirted with me, I had thought it was funny and played along, but when I had seen the real boy behind the bad boy exterior I never wanted him to leave me.

He knew more about me that anyone in the entire world, as I had spilled all my dark secrets to him, yet he still looked at me as if he couldn't believe I was really with him. He didn't look at me like I was damaged, he didn't look at me like I was used, he didn't look at me any differently. Before I was Alora; the girl he had a crush on, and after I was still Alora; the girl he had a crush on.

Pressing a kiss to my hand, as we reached Beta Beta, Corey let go of my hand. "Thank you for everything, my little mountain lion, last night meant a lot to me".

I smiled sadly at him, "it meant a lot to me too". Corey paid the cab driver as we climbed out and grabbed our bags. It was the middle of the afternoon, so the fraternity house was pretty much empty, as we headed in. I sent a text to Selson telling him I was back early as Deminick had a case to work.

He texted back, as I was unpacking in my bedroom, telling me he'd see me in about an hour or two when he got back from class and would take me out for dinner. So I quickly showered and changed, feeling somewhat refreshed after my time with Corey.

Sure I was upset we weren't going to continue, but I was grateful for what he had given me – a clean slate. Corey was the last person who I had been with, not Parker. Corey was the last person to have sex with me in my bedroom, not Parker. Corey was the last person who had woken me up with kisses, not Parker. I needed to let Parker Owen go, and he allowed me to do that.

I dressed in a nice blue dress, and a pair of heels, before doing my makeup and hair. I had dressed up for my date with Chad, but that was because I felt the need to. But as I looked at myself in the bathroom mirror, I felt as confident as I used to. "Thank you for everything you've give me back, Corey" I whispered. And I let him go – I would always cherish our night together with my heart, but I understood that it wouldn't happen again. I would enjoy it for what it was, but I didn't need to dwell over it.

"Alora, you ready to go?" Selson shouted to me, snapping out of my admiration of my reflection.

"Two minutes" I called back. I quickly began applying some lipstick, before grabbing my handbag, and rushing out the door. As I reached the top of the stairs, I paused, hearing Corey and Selson talking.

"I didn't expect you back so early" Selson said. Corey just grunted in reply. "You look like shit".

"I feel it" Corey sighed.

"Did something happen with Bryant again?"

"No, it was something I did. I fucked up, man, and now I--"

"Now you what?" Selson prompted when he paused. There was a moment before Corey sighed heavily.

"Nothing, man, just forget I said anything. Have fun on your date".

"I'm not going on a date, I'm taking Alora for food. Join us?" he offered.

"No, I'm tired, I'm going to go to bed" he replied, and I heard him move away. I ascended down the stairs, and met Corey at the bottom of them. He looked even more stressed than he did when he let go of my hand in the cab. He blinked as he looked me and up and down. "You look beautiful" he said, before lowering his voice, "my beautiful little mountain lion".