chapter twelve; traitors

"A map to Skywalker himself?" Maz Kanata's oversized eyes widened, chuckling to herself, "Ah, you're right back in the mess!"

Mara savored her fruit while studying the room for any threats or eavesdroppers, a useful habit she had picked up over the years. Her skills were rusty with this much variety in a crowd, but she was pretty sure no one had been trying to overhear their conversation.

Han and Maz continued talking, Rey and Finn eagerly listening while Mara kept tabs on the locals. Solo pointed down to BB-8, who had nestled himself between Rey and Mara, "Maz, I need you to get this droid to Leia."

"Hmm," She pursed her lips, looking from the droid to Han, shrugging before simply saying, "No."

Mara now snapped her head back to shoot daggers at Han, who met her stare with an anxious look. He'd said Maz could help them, and from what she just said that didn't seem like what was going to happen.

Before Solo could give another excuse, the old woman reached her hand over to his, "You've been running from this fight for far to long. Han, nyakee nago wadda! Go home."

He gave a pitiful shake of his head, the idea not sitting well with him, "Leia doesn't want to see me."

Finn, probably taking a more diplomatic approach than Mara would've if she'd been given a few more moments, spoke up, "Please we came here for your help."

"At least give us a ship." Mara grumbled, still scanning for anyone who looked suspicious. Maz's eyes went from Finn's and traveled to the blonde, lingering on her for more than a few seconds. It wasn't until Rey spoke that she looked away from her.

The native scavenger, who had heard many a tall tale about many different wars, asked, "What fight?"

Maz took a second to observe the entire group before her, spreading out her hands as a gesture, "The only fight: against the dark side. Through the ages, I've seen evil take many forms. The Sith. The Empire. Today, it is the First Order. Their shadow is spreading across the galaxy."

Mara throat tightened as the elder continued to speak. She knew this well, probably better then anyone at the table. She knew the enemy, personally. She'd seen her share of evil, she'd run from it. Now, after just getting a taste of the fight she'd fled from years ago, she was itching to get back into it. It was in her nature. She thrived in war.

But in darkness? In darkness she felt blind.

Maz's eyes again met Mara's, almost as if she sensed the girl's thoughts. The blonde let her gaze drop to the floor while Kanata continued to speak, "We must face them. Fight them. All of us."

You can make things right again, Poe's voice repeated itself in Mara's head, You're a natural born warrior. We need people like you to end this war.

As she questioned herself in her head, Finn shook his, voice tight but convinced, "There is no fight against the First Order! Not one we can win. Look around. There's no chance we haven't been recognized already. I bet you the First Order is on their way right--"

"Finn-" Mara had cut him off, giving a more intense glare then she had directed at Solo moments ago. What made her shut up was Maz, who was fiddling with her goggles. Under her scrutinizing eye, which had magnified at least double, she leaned in from across the table.

Finn voice rose higher, taken off guard by her actions, "What's this?! What's going on?"

Almost impossibly, Maz's eyes got bigger. She grunted, perhaps in recognition, and started crawling across the table. Fruit bowls were pushed back, Mara and Rey saving the delicious food from becoming mush on the floor.