chapter twenty-nine; off to war

Being around so many working starfighters again was a strange feeling. The whole platform was alive; repairs being done to a dozen ships at a time and pilots running across to their destination; the skies. Adrenaline pulsed in the air whilst everything moved at such a fast pace in preparation for yet another battle in the stars.

Mara could feel deep in her core a magnetism to it all. It was a pull she'd experienced since she was just a child. With just the mere sight of any one-man air born craft, it seemed her feet always led her towards it. The rush of flying was addicting, and she had been having withdrawals from the moment she crashed so long ago. The urge to reunite with her infatuation of being airborne may have overtaken her logic; she hadn't flown in years, and now was not the time for it.

But that definitely wouldn't stop her. The only thing that did is that she wouldn't trust anyone but herself to see Rey safe.

Still, she unconsciously stopped loading the bombs into the bag as her focus sucked into the atmosphere around her. The smell of oil dulled her senses as her eyes began to dart across the tarmac, watching with longing eyes the body of the Resistance mounted for war.

Mara ripped her attention away from the sight, forcing herself to keep to her work. Han had told her to start loading the bags with explosives while Finn went to retrieve a few more guns. Basically, they were going to stockpile themselves with firepower.

Mara

Her eyes flicked up from the small bombs, an effortless smile curving over her teeth as she saw her droid, "Hey BB. Where'd you run off to the last hour?"

Showing people the map

"Pretty important job. C'mon, it's time to load up before take off."

Goodbye

Mara's lip twitched, eyebrow shooting up at the astromech's comment, "What'dya mean?"

BB-8 rotated his lower body towards the tarmac, gesturing to the ships, I'm flying.

The blonde sighed, getting up and slinging a bag over her shoulder. She hadn't remembered that technically he was still Poe's droid. Over the last few days, she sort of protectively took ownership of him. It was a wonderful thing that his original master was still alive, but her heart sunk at the thought of BB-8 not accompanying the Millennium Falcon's crew on the last leg of their adventure.

So Mara offered a small smirk, bidding the device that had she'd somehow come to admire goodbye, "You take care of yourself and keep your cute little head down up there, okay? Also, don't let Dameron do anything to stupid."

That is a challenge harder than it sounds.

She chuckled lightly at that, gaze going up again once she heard Poe call, "C'mon pal!"

BB-8 became alert, turning his head towards the call. Mara followed his line of sight, watching Poe jog up to them, "We've gotta go."

"Better listen to him, bud." She urged, to which the astromech nodded.

Mara then stood up to briefly greet Dameron, setting the explosives down as she rung her hands together, "He's all yours again."

"Again?"

She shrugged, looking between Poe and BB-8, "Well, we all thought you were dead, so I took the liberty of sort of adopting him? Me and Rey didn't want the little guy to be all alone."

He smiled, patting the droid beside him fondly, "Thanks. I doubt this guy would've made it this far without you all."

Excuse me-