chapter sixteen; more and more sand

Mara didn't mean to go to sleep, she actually fought it off for awhile.

BB-8 had returned from the hiding spot the droid had run to after the animal attack. The astromech kept drilling into the mess of metal and rock, and the hole kept growing larger. Mara watched the little guy work in an effort to stay awake. But as the sun rose over the plain, her eyelids kept drooping.

Don't go to sleep, don't go to sleep, don't go to sleep......

She replayed the chant over and over again in her head. She couldn't just doze off in the company of a Resistance member and what seemed to be animals that took a liking to human flesh. She also didn't want to wake up to find herself abandoned, alone on a planet that was inhabited by carnivorous beasts. Yes, she couldn't stand mystery Resistance man, but that didn't mean he wouldn't be of use. 

Mara's grand plan was to stick with him and his droid until the threat of clawed animals was eliminated or her brother finally showed up and rescued her. 

The only fatal flaw in her scheme was that Armitage would constantly bring up this event to tease her. That was the best-case scenario. The worst would be the newly appointed general exercising his power to demote her for such a shoddy execution of their discussed evacuation procedures.

She could live with a demotion. All she had to do was tolerate that stupid excuse for a pilot a little longer. So she was intent on staying awake.

Overall, her plan failed horribly. She blamed the painkillers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"No buddy, I don't like her either, but she's probably got enough info stored away in that head of her's to be worth it."

Beeps and blurbs wafted through the edge of Mara's mind and slowly led her back to a drowsy consciousness. She stirred slightly, her arm jutting out to the side and catching the Resistance man's attention.

"Wakey wakey, Blondie. Time to start moving."

She winced as bright light obscured her vision. The painful ache in her back made it uncomfortable to sit up, but she did. Using the back of her hand to wipe a tired glaze from her eyes, her first observation was to see that the opening was much larger now. The man tapped her shoulder before he climbed outside.

Mara peered around the cave to find most of it empty now. Her blaster and knife were gone along with the small torch and medical kit. All that was left in the cave was the broken parts of the X-wing, fallen debris, and her cracked helmet. He must've packed everything while she was sleeping.

Dammit

"How long was I out?" She asked while she crawled out of the dreaded cave.

"A few hours. I took a quick rest before I packed everything up." The man offered her a hand to help her up, which she readily ignored. Instead, she gripped onto the rock next to her and pushed up. One step and she was free.

The first noticeable thing she saw was the smoking remains of her TIE Silencer. The wreckage was only a few yards away among the rock structures. The ground under her was an incline, then flat rock before the rest declined into sand. Behind them was a high plateau, which swirled together with colors of red, orange, and various hues of browns. She hated this place already.

"So....." The man said as he spun around to get a look at everything, "It's a desert planet."

Mara nodded slowly, sighing rather harshly before glancing once again at her demolished fighter, "Yeah, it looks like hell."