thirty-three; at the end of victory

Two severed pieces of metal laid in her hands, their temperature finally making her skin recognize the cold whilst the numbness began to subside. The warmth of the cabin crept back to her as she gazed upon the broken weapon. She was still in shock, not registering everything that had unfolded in the last few hours, hell, the last few days since she and Rey found BB-8 among Jakku's desert.

Mara's fingers grasped the frigid baton, exhaling deeply at the halves, Aunt Ly is going to be pissed.

Another sting of pain originated from her side, making her clench her teeth as her head buzzed. Her body still shook, coming off the adrenaline hype from the intense fight. Her muscles ached from her strength been tested to its limits.

As Mara raised her head to tear her eyes away from the broken pieces, Finn laid stretched out on a type of bed beside her seat. She'd wrapped a bandage around his torso, but the bleeding had stopped already due to the lightsaber cauterizing the wound. The same had happened on her own calf, not profusely bleeding, though she had switched off her sensory receptors for her left leg. He on the other hand? The pain probably contributed to his unconsciousness.

Please stay alive

The monitor was old, barely working. Han Solo didn't seem to carry too much in the way of medical supplies, and the thing was practically archaic with a scratched screen. He'd have to - should of - updated this years ago. Yet it still showed the pulse, weak but constant.

Mara's head was throbbing while her side kept sending waves of pain across her stomach. She cringed, fidgeting to try and find a more comfortable position. How long until the reached D'Qar? Only a few more minutes now. Then they'd get proper medical attention.

Rey's footsteps sounded from the helm, and she emerged from the co-pilot's chair. Her face was still flushed red and the gate of her walk faulty. She appeared as if she woken up from a dream, dazed and reliving images spun between sleep and her mind. Mara hadn't ever seen her quite like this.

The blonde rose from her chair. Trying her best to ignore the discomfort running across her torso, she opened her arms despite it. Rey slowly walked into the embrace with bewildered eyes, gently wrapping an arm across her shoulder. She let out a shaky breath that sounded like the faintest echo of a cry. Mara's sympathy grieved for her friend, wishing she could press her own heart into her into her ribcage if it would help.

This was the biggest ordeal Rey had ever experienced in her life. She'd been put in so much danger. She'd been kidnapped. Her friends had been hurt. Someone was dead. She possessed a power beyond reality's confinements.

She was just a lonely girl who just wanted a family. How had this happened?

Mara clenched her teeth, pulling away after a fresh hurt stemmed from her wound. Her vision swayed with weariness as she sat down again, so tired. She dryly swallowed, pinching the bridge of her nose in an effort to keep herself awake. Exhaustion enveloped her as she spoke for the first time since they'd left Starkiller, "We should get to D'Qar soon enough. It's green, like Takodana, but with less trees. More hills."

A weak smile persisted on Rey's face, the effort put into in vain as she looked at Finn. The blonde raked a hand through her tangled hair, omitting a reassuring comment, "He'll make it. It's all gonna be fine."

Mara could hear the uncertainty in her own tone while her friend may have believed, or simply chose to ignore it. Rey stood near the middle of the space, still in haze from it all. Her voice came strong than the blonde would've first suspected, "It's just a lot to take in."