chapter fourteen; in the dark

The castle had been demolished to debris, which littered the ground and made inconvenient obstacles. Among the fallen castle was tens and tens of stormtroopers. Everywhere Mara turned, there were always more.

"Chewie!"

Han's call was met with a familiar roar, the wookie going to his friends side. The older man turned to Mara, grabbing something off Chewbacca's belt and handing it to Mara. A charge for her pistol.

The blonde, who usually wouldn't have been so picky in another situation, scoffed somewhat, yelling over the fire overhead, "You expect me to take a a legion of stormtroopers with a blaster pistol!"

Han shrugged, pulling out his own, "I did!"

Mara was not amused.

Solo gestured to the mass of troopers around them, which all had fully loaded guns, "Well there's plenty to choose from if you hadn't noticed!"

The battlefield was flooded with white soldiers, all which stood in the way of her and her objective; find Rey and BB-8. Mara loaded the charge into her worm blaster, praying the battered thing would actually work. Taking aim at one of the many targets in front of her, she pulled the trigger.

One fell into the swath of ruble. She ran through it, grabbing the gun off the stormtrooper's body. Miraculously, the was man was still alive, trying to keep a grasp on his weapon.

Mara yanked it free, punching his helmet with her free hand, "Sorry bucket-head, but I'll be needing this."

She came up to stand and fired on the first trooper who aimed at her. Her first shot missed horribly; she was years out of practice. The second hit the side of the chest, the third the middle.

Mara chided herself internally as another voice teased her, "You really do shoot like a stormtrooper."

The blonde glared at Finn, "Like you could do any better after not touching a blaster for two years."

Mara's attention went to blue lightsaber in his hands. Humming emanated from the weapon, a powerful feeling surrounding it like a forcefield. She'd seen drawings of lightsabers that pertained to the light side, but none compared to actually looking upon one with her own eyes. Ren's was dangerous, bringing fear wherever it went. This one had a fierce, elegant feeling of destruction about it. It was a creation for war, but yet it was so much more.

Her seconds of marveling the saber were short lived, and she raised her gun to her shoulder and shot an oncoming stormtrooper. Finn blocked an oncoming shot, surprising Mara with how easily he fought with the sword. For a guy she'd seen be mostly clumsy, he had athleticism and adaptability that surprised her. Finn was wielding that thing pretty well for a guy who just got it five minutes ago.

She fired again, taking down two stormtroopers with three hits. She abruptly spun back, a stock of a gun pounding against her temple. She fell to the ground, bringing her gun back up to shoot.

"Stay down resistance scum-" The trooper shouted before Mara pulled the trigger again. He fell back and she scrambled back up before another could catch her off guard.

Never, before today, would I thought I'd be called Resistance Scum by my brother's men. Oh, times have changed.

The screech of a TIE came from overhead. She looked over the field of blood and crumbling structure to Finn, running and pulling him down before a storm of blasts came from above them.
The two took cover behind a mass of debris as a TIE fighter rained fire from overheard. Taking a minute to catch her breath, Mara glanced around to see where Rey would've gone.