chapter nineteen; here comes the truth

Mara was out in under twenty minutes.

She was tired and frustrated and hurt. It felt like an endless chasm had been cut in her stomach and her head was more fuzzy and befuddled than before. Tears kept staining her burnt red cheeks, and even when she thought there was no more, there was. Whenever she thought she was done, she kept weeping until her puffy eyes began to droop. The exhaustion of trying to keep herself alive in the harsh environment had sucked all her energy away, the added fit of sobs not helping.

Mara somehow slumped against hard rock once again, and soft breathing commenced as she fell asleep. Hours passed as BB-8 rolled around tall formations and back to the entrance whilst keeping watch until the sun peeked over the horizon.

The droid poked Mara awake, prodding at her leg, then rolling a few feet away in fear of her action. When she didn't move, he came back forward, prodded again, then rolled away. When she still didn't awaken, he became a little worried and tapped on her harder.

A muffled moan escaped her lips as her eyelids opened, revealing clear blue, sleepy eyes. She closed them again, muttering under her breath about facing another day in this hell hole.

BB-8 turned his little head, beeping The night was about six hours. I believe the day lasts nineteen.

The blonde nodded, forcing herself to get up. Her back was incredibly sore, her legs aching from the hike yesterday, and her bitten hand buzzed in irritating pain. Sand had gotten in the cuts and scratches on her face, which were quite annoying. Everything was annoying and irritating and infuriating.

And no one was going to save her from it.

Mara's attempt to stand failed as she slid back the coarse rock, forcing herself not to cry again. Tears stung as she swallowed, which was quite uncomfortable with her dry throat. She took a deep breath.

Her aunt back on Mandalore, which she used to visit quite often considering her flight academy was a mere hop away from the planet, had previously been a soldier back in Imperial days. While Mara's aunt rarely ever talked about the war, much less which side she was on, she taught Mara two things;

1: There is no such thing as peace without war.

2: War will happen. You must learn to calm yourself and fight, no matter the situation.

Mara, who thrived in war and didn't mind casual violence, found the first very true. The second she had learned was harder in some situations, this one being a prime example. She had developed a quick system of breathing and moving on. So she sat up and inhaled sharply.

1

Her brother tried to kill her and she was abandoned with a stranger and his loyal droid on a hot planet with no hope of getting off.

2

She had cried all night and was injured, but she could run.

3

Find a way to survive, preferably off the planet.

A few more breaths passed through her before she stood up again, wiping her red eyes and turning off the lantern in the middle of the small camp. She left it there, sighing as she looked at the only human other than her on this planet.

Dameron's bruise on his head was still ugly and the cuts on his face were covered in dry blood. It was a shame such a pretty face had been mangled so.

BB-8 rolled up beside her, glancing up, He stirred a little last night. I fear for him.

"Yeah, he's not looking too good, bud." She crossed her arms over her chest after swiping a matted lock of blonde hair over her shoulder.

Mara really didn't know what to do. What were you supposed to do after someone had been unconscious with a concussion for hours? Slap them awake? Splash water on their face?