A Rude Awakening

Once a year, the people of Millwood would gather for a BBQ at the local park. Everyone looked forward to it and this year, the host of honour was none other than Margo. The ladies of Millwood, made there way to her house to deliver the surprising news, once arrived they all gathered around Margos table. Margo fixed small sandwiches and cocktails for lunch. However, a nice luncheon would soon turn nothing but ugly.

"Spectacular sandwiches darling, what do you add to them?" Delilah examined her sandwich closely, she hadn't eaten in what felt like forever.

"Just mayonnaise mix, nothing special." Margo smiled, she was more pleased on how well her cocktails turned out.

"So, Margo.. Remember how last year you helped me host the annual Millwood BBQ?" Linda piped up, she couldn't bare to keep it a secret any longer.

"Of course, you made me cut about fifty watermelons." Margo laughed, as she poured herself another drink.

"Well, I've spoken to Mr.Allan, and he's making you this years host of honour" Linda was practically shouting and smiling ear to ear.

Margo thought she heard wrong, how could she possibly host a BBQ for hundreds of people. "What?" She asked confused.

"Don't looked so worried darling, it's your first year.. You'll do great. We can all help, share some recipes with you." Rayna remembered a time long ago when she hosted her first Millwood BBQ, it was disastrous and the thought made her grin, for she was never asked to host again.

"Well, I am honoured.. But actually, this is great opportunity for me to show off some of my new recipes I've been working on in my book." Margo politely smiled as she got up to fetch her rough draft of her cook book, she placed it in  front of her girls on the table.

Rayna, was instantly intrigued. She adored anything literature, even if it was a cook book. The other girls, looked at one another confused.

"You.. Wrote this?" Linda asked shocked as she examined the book closely. "I remember times when you couldn't even make a meatloaf." She mocked as she continued to flip through pages.

"Cut it out, Linda. You're not the only one around here who can cook." Rayna reached across the table and grabbed the book. "I think this is great Margo, really. I've written so many rough drafts of books, I could start my own library."

"Yes, we've all written something from time to time. But, if you remember correctly- section 5 of the rule book clearly states, no wife will profit from anything she may create." Linda was baffled that she was the only one upset by Margos cook book.

"Oh shut up." Rayna accidentally blurted out, Margo tried to hide her smile. "They write those things to keep us brainwashed. There's more to life than cooking, cleaning and wiping our kids asses."

Everyone, appalled at Rayna looked at one another. Linda's face was red, never before had a wife talked so shamefully about there wife duties.

"I don't know about you guys, but I've taken vows. To my husband and my community." Linda crossed her arms, she was spitting angry.

"Taken vows?" Rayna scoffed. "You were kidnapped! You were forced vows, we all were!"

Margo could see the atmosphere quickly change before her, all over her cook book. "Ladies, please.. It's just a book, a few of my recipes scribbled down.
It's nothing, it's for me only."

"Don't you dare do that. Don't hold yourself back because of her. If you want to write a book for others, than so be it." Rayna protested to her.