Nightmares

-Narrator: Mark.

I was losing it. I usually dont let my feelings overtake me, but my past was something I couldn't forget. Seeing Hiccup discuss like dad like he was downstairs, refreshed my memories.

Hiccup looked astonished, his eyes were open wide, and his mouth was hanging. He started babbling nosense, trying to make an explanation about what I just said. I made a sign with my hand, telling him to keep quiet. I needed silence, because, in my head, a lot of feelings were smashing together, mixing, crashing, exploding and repeating the process again. I felt the rage directed to Hiccup's dad, the chief. I felt the sadness of remembering my own dad. I felt the suffering that this village, Hiccup, would have to bear if I end up killing it's chief. It was... devastating.

I've never open my feelings to anyone since... the incident. I was feeling alone all this time, isolated in a sad, dark place. But, I realized somebody was feeling just the same sensation of loneliness. For what I knew, Hiccup has been suffering bullying from... his ''friends'', he called them, since he was young. Well, young-er. We were no different; loners, torn apart by their superiors, who ended betraying them.

But there was one difference. His superior was his dad.

And mine was a dictator.

-Narrator: Hiccup.

I looked at him in the eyes. And I saw something I've never seen in anybody in my entire life: me. 

Mark, the great pilot of the Black Fire, destroyer of villages, the one that won a fight hand-to-hand with my dad, was crying. I saw in his eyes the same loneliness I had to bear all this years. I understood there that, we weren't only partners, we were something more. I didn't know how to call it exactly... probably because the only other time that I use this expression is when I refer to he ones that mock my name because I am... weak. The gang. No, they weren't my friends.

But Mark was.

''Listen, and this will change your mind about your dad. And probably about me.'' He said softly. Something was telling me this was going to be long, so I acomodated myself, and listened closely.

-Narrator: Mark.

I didn't know if I was prepared for that, but it was the only chance I got to, at least, release some of the pressure off my conscience.

*FLASHBACK*

''The once was a place called Berlin. It was some sort of village... but a LOT bigger. It used to be my home... I lived there with my dad, my mom and my older brother. His name was Jack. My parents, however, were both born in another village called London. Anyway, life was good: nice food, the people was kind and there was a lot of other children to play with.''

''Until, one day, one man decided that there could be only one type of humans in the entire world. To do so, he became the chief of the village and killed everybody that got in his way. Of course, my dad opposed to his dictatorship, and he got shot. The only thing I have to remember him is this revolver... In that aspect, my dad was as stubborn as yours, he never gave up to what he thought he was right.''

''As for the rest of us, we were forced to work until starvation. I can't add anything more to it... (sob) Then, with the help of my revolver, I scaped, got the plane, and flyed as far as I could... until I got to this island. I was the only one that made it... alive.''

I started crying.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

-Narrator: Hiccup.

I listened until the last word, holding back the tears as I could. Mark was already crying, but I didn't blame him. His story was sad, even more than mine if possible. He was completely alone, his family had died. At least, I had somebody that cared about me... my dad, Gobber... all they've done was to protect me. And I realized, how thankfull should I be to them; thanks to their effort, I had food, water and a warm place to sleep. I realized how ungratefull and arrogant I was to them. They just wanted the best for me! And right now, Mark was a threat.

''Now, they'll probably kill me, you can't protect me forever, Hiccup. Not against the whole village.'' He said calmly. ''But before anything, I want you to make peace with your dad. Cause I don't want the same happening to you.'' He mumbled, with tears still soaking his mouth.

''Understood?'' He asked.

I didn't answer.

''Losing your only family is hard. You know almost as much as me; you lost your mother when you were a baby... But trust me, losing them when you are a child is the best moment.'' He stated.

I looked at him, even more surprised. ''Why do you say that?''

He looked at me. ''Because otherwise their memories haunt you forever.''

-Narrator: Mark.

I heard the front door closing. Somebody was in the house with us. But we stood there, looking into our eyes for minutes. Nobody wanted to say anything, in fact, there was no need to say anything.

Everything was said.

The last sentence caught Hiccup completely unprepared. But it was a huge truth; every night, in my dreams, the same scene repeats constantly, my dad being shot, my mother and Jack gassed...

It was a sensation nobody deserved to feel. Hiccup was the only one I had, the only one I could protect, from himself.

''Now, go. I will wait here.'' I made a low laugh. ''I can't leave this room anyways.'' I lifted my arm, showing the chain to him. He almost laughed with me. After that, he left the room with no hesitation. 

With nowhere to go, I layed in the bed again, thinking. Since I left the camp, my life turned nonsense; I still dont know how I managed to scape with a plane... a prototype nevertheless! Then I reach an unknown island full of... vikings? And attacked by dragons? Anyone would have gone mad at the situation. I guess I was mad enough already to consider it possible. My life had no purpose since the incident, I had no family, home, or even friends alive anymore. For weeks, I unleashed my rage destroying this exact village or chasing the dragons with my 20mm cannon.

But then, Hiccup shot me down. And, in some aspects, it was for the best, it gave me a reason to live, a friend... of some sort. But you can't be friend of somebody with all his village against you. 

And for the best or not, I just can let what needs to happen, happen.

-- AUTHOR'S NOTE --

This chapter might me a little confusing... But I wanted to clear (a little) Mark's origins. They will be explained a lot better later in the story.

Also, I want to thank you all! I started this story like a hobby. And your support is the best thing I have here...  And you are the ones that maintain this story alive!

Now, excuse me! I have more chapters to write!