Chapter 9

My stomach churns from the moment I get home from school. I saw Phil in class today, but we were both preoccupied, and no matter what happens with Mr Lester I still have to do well in my exams. I shower, then spend an age deciding whether to leave my hair natural or straighten it, putting it into numerous different styles only to decide I look ridiculous before straightening it to its usual style. I pull on my usual black skinny jeans and Muse jumper, the one I was wearing the first time I saw Phil. I wonder if the same sparks will fly tonight as they did that day.

I catch the 2022 bus to the old industrial estate about a twenty minute ride from my house, and walk quickly along Churchgate Road. Its quiet, and the cold wind bites my face as I make my way down the muddy pavement looking out for the turn Phil was talking about. I come up to a small turning, and see a sign for "Easy Sleep". This must be it. I follow the sign, and a large but cosy looking cottage comes into view. Approaching with caution, I see leaves rustle behind me and jerk round, to see Phil laughing at how I jumped. 

He looks cute in a knitted dark blue jumper and skinny black jeans, with black hi-tops. So cute. 

"Dan" he smiles "you really came?" did he really think I wouldn't show up?

"Of course I did Phil. Do you know how to get in?"

"I'm guessing someone broke in here recently, the door's open. Let's go"

I follow him through the brown painted doorway, into what looks like a small reception/living room area. He doesn't stop here, and continues on to a corridor full of labeled rooms. He stops at a door, number seventeen, and pushes lightly against the door. It's unlocked.

"Shall we?" I try not to seem too excited or eager as I casually stroll in and take in my surroundings. A comfortable looking double bed lies in the centre of the room, with a chest of drawers and a wardrobe to one side. A small armchair sits across the room. There must be communal bathrooms somewhere in the building, because there's no ensuite. I sit carefully on the bed. It has a faint flowery patterned bedding. Whoever left this place behind must have left in a hurry, they took nothing with them. It'll get dark soon, so Phil tries the light switch. Miraculously, a dim bulb lights up the room with a  faint glow. I lie on the bed, and Phil comes to lie next to me. 

"What would happen if we were caught here?" Phil asks, although he knows full well the answer. If anyone were to find out we were here, it'd be no mystery what we were up to. No teacher takes their student to an abandoned hostel to talk about Shakespeare.

I roll over to face him, staring into his blue eyes. They really are brighter than the stars. 

"So tell me about you, I hardly know you" I say with a small smile.

"Well, not much to tell really. I'm an English teacher" we both laugh at that "pretty boring really. I like playing football even though I'm no good at it, and I hate pineapples" I love his little quirks "what about you Dan? Tell me your story"

" Well, my dad is an accountant and makes a fair amount of money so until now I was tutored at home, until it got too expensive and my dad's work started running out" he frowns at this, concerned for me "but its fine, we still have enough money to live comfortably. I...uh...I like anime, I guess"

"Aww you little nerd" Phil grins, and I push his arm teasingly "Hey! That hurt Dan!" 

"Aw come on you know that didn't hurt" he gives me a fake puppy dog eyes face, and my heart melts.

"Well do you want me to kiss it better?" I say, smirking at him.

"Dan, I would love that"