Chapter 4

My crush on Ashton was no secret. But no one really knew about it. Not even Brooke. Don't ask me why because I really don't know. It's just we never talked about it. Like the topic never came. Don't get me wrong here. We talked about boys. In fact, all we talked about was boys most of the time.

The thing was, the thought never crossed anyone's mind that I liked Ashton. Everyone just assumed that we're only friends. I bet even Ashton had no idea that I liked him. Normally, in high schools, it is the other way around. People assume that you are in a relationship just cause you are good friends and spend time with each other.

Yeah, not with me. They all were as clueless as a chicken.

Or maybe I was too good at hiding my feelings.

Yeah, right.

You guys are probably wondering why the hell I am telling you this. Well, the answer is simple. I had been put in the situation where I was starting to question the reliability of the aforementioned secret, which was not really a secret.

I was sitting at my usual table in the cafeteria with some friends and Megan. Megan, the red head who dared to go against Asher's crowd and I had been hanging out together now. Although my friends didn't like her very much (okay they kinda hated her guts) but they didn't bother her when I was around.

I was watching where Ashton and his group was sitting across from us. They were laughing at some joke Asher told. Today was different. Today was like before everything. Before Asher dropped out of school to become a pop star. Today they both were dressed totally alike.

It was their thing which they used to do. They would wear exact same clothes and pretend to be one another. It was nearly impossible to tell them apart.

"So which one do you like?"

I turned my head to the left where Megan was sitting.

"Huh?" I asked.

She pushed her glasses up her angular nose and repeated, "Which brother do you like?" She nodded in their direction.

I feigned confusion.

"What are you talking about?" I asked nonchalantly.

"I am not dumb, Ellie," she said as if that explained everything. Of course, she wasn't dumb. She was a scholarship student and one of the toppers of our school.

There was no reason to hide anything from her. After all, she found this out herself.

I sighed.

"It doesn't matter. He doesn't feel the same way," I mumbled looking down at my food.

All my other friends which included the entirety of the cheerleading team and some other girls were busy eating and talking about some game our school was gonna organize and how they will get to watch hot boys play. Girls and their obsession with watching boys play.

Brooke skipped school today as she was sick. I would have to go and meet her after school today. Lucky girl. She got to skip school and watch Netflix all day.

"How can you be so sure?" she asked. I could tell she was feeling out of place sitting with us but she didn't complain.

I turned to her. "Because I know him," I said. At that moment I realized how pessimistic I was about Ashton's and me. I shouldn't be pessimistic. It was not gonna help me in any way.

I smiled tightly at her. "I will try, though. I won't give up that easily," I told her.

She grinned. "That's like my girl!"