Chapter 33

It was Wednesday.

When I went to school, trust me I didn't want to, but I didn't want to stay at home either, I looked like a mess. I hadn't paid any attention to how I looked. And it didn't help when Brooke pointed it out to me at our free period. We were at our usual spot, under a tree.

"Did you come out of a cave this morning?" she said jokingly.

I broke down in front of her. I was hardly making it through the day so when Brooke commented on what I was wearing I couldn't stop the tears. I felt like a hormonal pregnant woman. Her eyes widened and she started apologizing fervently.

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean it. I was just kidding," she said.

When I didn't stop, she looked around helplessly. I felt like such a baby.

She continued blabbering, having no idea what else to do.

"I'm not crying because of that," I managed to say finally.

She looked relieved, but then she furrowed her brows.

"Then what is it?"

So I told her all that went down yesterday, down to the last detail. She listened intently and didn't interrupt once. Brooke was a good listener and I felt lighter after telling her.

"That sucks," she said, grimacing.

Brooke was a good listener alright, but she was hardly empathetic so I wasn't expecting much from her. Still I couldn't stop myself from talking.

"I mean, the worst part is he lied to me. How can he hide something this big?"

Brooke pursed her lips.

"I'm trying to think it from his perspective," she said.

"I don't get his perspective. What good it did me to believe my mother wasn't alive?"

"Better than to know she's alive and doesn't wanna meet you," she said and then cringed.

"That was harsh," she said, closing an eye, waiting for my reaction.

I gave her a small smile.

"Alright then!" she said with determination and stood up.

I looked at her questioningly, wondering what was going on in her mind.

"We are going to change your mood. We are going to make you happy. We are going to-" I already knew what was coming. "party!" she said all this as if she was giving a speech.

I started to argue when Megan approached us.

"Hi Ellie. Hey Drama queen," she said and plopped down next to me.

I gave her my practiced smile.

"Red! We are going to a party tonight," Brooke said, sitting again.

Megan gave me a weird look and I shrugged.

"We'll go straight to my house to get ready and then go from there, okay?" she said.

"What is up with her?" Megan asked.

"I don't know," I mumbled, picking at the grass. My mind was still thinking about the same thing. How would I meet her now that I knew who she was?

I must have zoned out because Megan had to call my name and poke me several times before I heard her.

"What is up with you?"

I was going to reply with the same 'I don't know' when Brooke beat me to it.

"She just found out that her mother is not really dead and that her father lied about it," she said.