One of The Boys : Chapter One

"Kick, push, kick, push, kick, push," I said repeatedly in my mind as I rode my skateboard toward my house. I got up to my doorstep and did one last kick flip and popped the skateboard into my hand and under my arm.

"Mom!?" I yelled, walking into the house and locking the door behind me.

"In here honey!" My mom said calling out from the living room. I saw her packing things into boxes. I was hoping that they were just things she was shipping out of the country and what I was actually thinking wasn’t true.

I laid my skateboard on the ground and jumped onto the couch.

"What are you doing?" I asked not hiding the curiosity in my voice.

Her smile turned big. "We're moving," She didn't even try to sugar coat it. She just plopped the news right into my lap.

My mouth dropped. I quickly stood up and walked over to my mom "What'd you mean moving!?"

"Taking our things and getting out of here. That moving," She walked across the room and grabbed a vase.

I followed her to the other side of the room. "Why? Where? When!? " I was in shock. Not only was this abrupt, but we lived here for 16 solid years. We’ve been here since I was born and she just wanted to get up and leave!? I couldn’t leave everything behind. She was probably okay with that, but I wasn’t.

"We're moving to Florida on Friday because, I just, like it better there," She walked back over to the other side of the room and put a vase into the box.

"And Dad approved of this!?" I said in angst. I followed her back to the other side of the room.

"He came up with the idea," She closed the box and sealed it with tape. She turned around to me. "This house is really old and falling apart. We just need to start fresh, you know?"

"Start fresh? What about my friends? All the clubs I joined?! What about that?!" I said irritated. What about all my friends? My sports, my upcoming games and competitions? I'm going to miss them because they want to "start fresh"? What about me? Where's my say in this!?

Leaving would probably make me go insane.

"Leaving those people is probably a good thing. You can focus on your work and try and get your GPA to a 90 percent,"

I rolled my eyes. "My friends are not bad influences! What are you talking about!?" Animosity in my voice.

"Jordan, I’m done talking about this. We're moving and not a thing will change my mind," And with that she turned her back on me. I stood behind my mom and stared at her with dismay. A ball began to form in my throat. It was hard and pushed against the walls of my throat. I felt like my throat was going to burst.

I stormed out of the living room without another word and up to my room. I threw myself onto my bed.

"Fuck my life," I thought out loud. I took a deep breathe. To tell my friends on Monday that I'm moving, it’s going to be a wreck.