Chapter 25

Rick finished making dinner and went to wake up his family. He entered the room quietly and smiled at them. Alexander was curled into Kate, his head tucked into the crook of her neck and his arms slung around her. He took out his phone and snapped a quick picture then approached the bed.

Rick moved a piece if hair out of Kate's face and kissed her forehead. She stirred a bit and he kissed her again, "sweetheart, dinner is done."

She opened her eyes and smiled at him then closed them again, "what did you make?" She asked moving Alexander out if her arms.

Kate sat up and Rick continued, "some steak, mashed potatoes and corn. Some salad to go on the side."

"Mmm sounds good, carry Alex down?" Kate asked looking at Alex who was starting to wake. Rick picked him up and Kate stood up. She stretched and followed Rick down the stairs.

"Daddy, what's for dinner?" A sleepy Alexander asked and Rick set him in his feat at the bottom of the stairs.

"Your and mommas favorite. Go take the napkins to the patio, bud, we are going to eat out there." Alexander took them from the table and scampered off and Kate met Rick in the kitchen. She stopped as a wave of nausea hit her, oh please not again. Kate bolted for the bathroom and Rick sprinted after her.

Kate made it just in time. Soon she felt a pair if hands on her, one lifting the hair from her face and shoulders and the other rubbing her back. After she was done, she curled into castle. "Kate, are you sure your alright?" Rick asked making her look at him. She was pale and looked really sick. Kate shook her head.

"No, babe, I've missed my period. I think I might be pregnant. I know we haven't planned this, but we're married and we have Alex-"

"Kate! This is amazing!" Rick exclaimed, his eyes excited as he pulled her into a crushing hug.

"Babe- I'm not for sure, we should probably get a test but-"

"but this is how you were when you pregnant with Alexander."

Kate nodded, "after dinner will you go? Get some tests? I'll get Alex ready for bed."

Rick nodded and kissed her temple, "yep, sounds good."

Rick helped her up and they went out to the patio, the napkins were scattered on the floor and a chair was tipped over,  Rick looked at Kate, "Alex?" Kate called and walked off into the backyard, "Alex!"
Rick sprinted after her, "babe, where is he?" Kate asked.

"I- I don't know."

They sprinted back the house and looked in the bathrooms and closets. "Alex!" Kate screamed running out to the patio again, "Rick, how did the chairs get tipped over?"

He looked around, "Kate I don't know.."

Kate sprinted down to the beach while Rick went to the front yard, he wasn't there or on the beach. They met back on the patio, "Rick, he's gone, he's not here," she said panicked.

"Kate," he placed his hands on her shoulders, "maybe he's hiding-"

"Rick, no! He knows better from last time!"

Rick sighed and ran his hands though his hair, "honey, keep looking, I'll call the cops."

Kate tried to hold her tears in, hoping Alex was just hiding on them, but her gut told her he wasn't.