Chapter 26

Kate ran to the side of the house hoping he was going towards the front. Alex wasn't. She ran up to the front and Rick was coming out the front door as the cops were pulling in. "Rick, he's not here! He's not here.."

Kate sank to her knees. It was her fault. She should have told Rick about the letter a month ago, instead she forwarded it to the boys and left him out of it. "I'm so sorry, Rick, it's all my fault.."

"Kate, honey," Rick knelt down to her and she wrapped her arms around his neck, "you did nothing, ok?"

She gazed up at him through the tears, "Rick, you don't understand. The letter, it's my fault."

She sobbed again and Rick held her up, "Kate, what letter?"

"The letter from Josh, I sent it to the boys, had them take care of it, I didn't want to worry you. God Rick, Josh has our baby."

Rick looked up at the police, "call the 12th precinct in New York." They were on it and Rick looked back down at Kate. He pulled her to her feet and brought her to the steps in front of the door and sat her down. "Kate, what did the letter say?"

"It- it said that, god Rick I don't remember!" Kate buried her face in her hands.

Rick phone rang, "espo, thank god, yeah, Alex is gone, we think it's Josh, ok thanks, see you in a bit." He hung up and looked at Kate, "honey, the boys are going to take care of this, they put a ATB out on him and they are going to issue an amber alert. They're also tracking Josh's cars and has every cop in New York on the look out. The also have all airports on look out, he won't get far."

Kate didn't look up. Just kept her hands In her face. "Kate, common, look at me."

He tired to lift her chin but she shoved him away. "Rick, stop! Ok nothing you do is going to make this better, not until Alexander is home and safe. Please, can we just-"

Rick stepped back and cut her off. "Kate, really?! Our son is missing and you just shove me away?"

"No Rick, I-"

"just stop, it's your fault! Why wouldn't you tell me about the damn letter? He's my son too! You had no right to keep that from me, none!" Rick continued to step away and Kate just looked up at him, tears lining her eyes. "You kept the letter from me and pawned it off to the boys without me knowing! Your my wife, we're suppose to be in this together, but I guess not."

Kate felt sick, she needed to get to the bathroom she jumped up and ran into the house, Rick called after her, "really? Your just going to run?"

He followed her into the house and stopped when he heard her, when she came into view, she was hunched over the toilet, puking. Rick just looked at her, did he really say all those harsh things to her, his wife? Yeah she made a mistake, but their son was missing, and that's how he treated her, how low, so low, he thought. He knelt down and held her hair, but she shoved him away. Kate was done and stood up on her own and looked at him, "Kate, I'm sorry I-"

"No Rick, your right, but, we can't argue about it, not now, Alexander needs us to be together and stay strong. We can discuss this later," She was calm, "I know your sorry, babe, it was in the moment, our baby is missing and your scared, I'm scared too." Kate stepped towards him and he pulled her into his arms, he let his tears fall and he kissed her head.

"I'm so sorry Kate, I'm so sorry."

"Shhhh, babe, it's ok." Kate caressed his jaw, "we'll get him back. I know we will."