Leads

Leads

Spencer

“Hi, I’m Special Agent Emily Prentiss, this is my partner Dr. Spencer Reid. We were hoping we could ask you a couple questions concerning one of your employees.” Prentiss was politely professional as we sat down with the manager of Kapersky, the company for which our (suspected) unsub worked.

“Uh, sure,” said Dean Barnes, the slightly sweaty, overweight manager. His comb-over was unconvincing but his eyes seemed honest for a businessman. “Which employee?” he asked, eyes glued to Emily, barely even noticing me next to her. I didn’t mind, hoping he’d divulge information quickly so as to impress my pretty companion.

“That’s actually what we were helping you could tell us,” She said slowly, sliding the invoice for the order the cameras came in across his desk. “We need to know which of your employees could’ve stolen some of these security cameras from your company,”

“Excuse me?” Barnes balked, surprised. “Why exactly do you believe any of my employees are stealing from me? And if that is the case, why on earth would the FBI be concerned?”

“We found one of your cameras, one of these actually,” I said, dropping an evidence bag onto his desk. “At a crime scene. In fact, we found several of them, installed by one of your employees to spy on his victims.” I struggled to keep my voice calm, leaving it flat and devoid of caring. Or fear, whichever might creep up my throat and poison my words.

“Victims?” Barnes parroted, startled. “What exactly are we talking about here?”

“Mr. Barnes, we believe that someone at your company, one who had access to these cameras, has been abducting and killing women from around Washington D.C.” Emily said, her voice calm and leading, explaining softly in hopes of drawing out a helpful response.

“Oh my…” Barnes mumbled, his eyes focusing momentarily before meeting Prentiss’ once again. “Do you have any idea who this might be?”

“That’s why we’re here,” I stated, a touch of exasperation edging into my voice. I hoped the rest of the team was having luck, canvasing the building and talking to some employees. Prentiss shot me a warning look before taking over the interview again.

“This man would have access to these cameras, people’s homes and would know how to install them. He would’ve been awkward around his female coworkers, enough so that someone would’ve noticed. He wouldn’t have been too forward with them, but he would repeatedly make comments about how a “gentleman” treats a lady.” Emily explained

“Gentleman?” Barnes asked, scraping his hand down over his plump face.

“That’s how he sees himself, as a chivalrous man with a very strict but relative code of honor.” Prentiss elaborated.

“He has no problem with installing hidden cameras in his intended victim’s home and after abduction he makes a mess of the house,” I began sulkily.

“However, he also greatly respects women, in the way that they relate back to him,” Prentiss said, completing the explanation.

“I’m sorry, I don’t understand,” Barnes said honestly. “How can he have respect for them is he’s snatching and killing them?” I winced at his crassness but Emily’s hand on mine under the desk helped to soothe the unintended blow.

“He respects women in the way that he sees them as objects to be taken care off. He would be very helpful and protective of those female colleagues close to him. He would always be taking about how women should be treated, but he wouldn’t be smooth or charming with the opposite sex. We believe he may be recently divorced or his wife may have left him for another.” Prentiss explained, searching the manager’s face for clues that he might know who the unsub was. Barnes paused for a moment, scratching his head, disrupting the gel hardened strands caging the bald dome of his head.