Missed You

Spencer

            “Good job on this one, Reid,” Hotch said as he passed by my seat on the jet. I smiled. We had left for Ohio 3 days ago, and were now flying back. We caught the guy when I used our geographical profile to figure out which coffee shop it was that he found his victims from.

            “Yeah, kid,” Morgan agreed, coming to sit across from me. “You were really on the ball this time. I was a little worried, when you almost missed the plane…” Morgan joked. They’d been giving me hell since I’d showed up late to the plane Tuesday morning.

            “I was only 15 minutes late,” I grumbled.

            “Which is like an hour for someone who has never been late for anything in his life,” Prentiss added unhelpfully from across the aisle.

            “Time is constant, it doesn’t change comparatively with people or situations,” I said.

            “Whatever, Reid.” Morgan laughed. “But really, you did good.”

            “Well” I corrected. “I did well. And thanks.” I said smiling. I had done well. Maybe it was because I knew the sooner we solved the case, the sooner I could see Katie again. Every second I spent alone, including hours into the night, I spent talking on the phone with Katie. I was worried that by going away, I was signing the death warrant on our budding relationship, if you could even call it that. But she picked up every time I called, and we’d talk for hours.

            She told me about her family, her love of music, the dog she had when she was little. I told her about my team, my favorite books, my childhood. I didn’t tell her about my job, or the dark minds I delve into everyday. And I didn’t tell her about my mother, and her illness. I knew it was crazy, but I didn’t want her to think I was… broken. Actually, I guess I didn’t what her to KNOW I was broken.

            I shook that thought out of my head, and turned back to my book. I was taking so long to read this book, taking my time with in, reading it entirely in her voice. I turned the page and realized that I’d made it to the story of Psyche and Eros. I smiled and closed my eyes. I went back to that first day, remembering the way my jaw dropped stupidly when I saw her for the first time. I ‘read’ the story from memory, seeing her lips wrap around the words in my head.

            I closed her book and sat back in my chair, moving on from Psyche and Eros, to The Great Gatsby. Before I knew it, we’d landed. I forced myself to take my time saying goodbyes to all my coworkers, taking a rain check on dinner at our favorite Thai place, claiming to have a headache. I walked away as calmly and non-conspicuously as I could. I called Katie the second I reached my car.

            “Spencer!” She exclaimed. She sounded happy that I called. I smiled.

            “Katie,” I sighed. Her voice always made me so calm. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so comfortable with someone so fast.

            “It’s early. Are you back?” She asked hopefully.

            “Yeah, we just got in. What are you doing? Can I see you?”

            “How far out are you? I can meet you at your place,”

            “About 15 minutes. And, Katie,” I said, trying to tell her how much I missed her. But I didn’t know how. I’d just met her. And yet, somehow, I felt like I knew her better than anyone in the world.