The Boss

Spencer

“Sorry I’m late,” I mumbled, head down and hurrying to my seat. The funny looks I’d been getting these past few weeks had officially become worried looks and I’d had to dodge more than a few attempts to ‘talk’.

“You’re 35 minutes late,” Rossi said, his voice neutral enough, but we all heard the question underneath. The question I chose to ignore.

“Yeah, I’m sorry,” I repeated.

“We’ll fill you in on the jet, wheels up in 30,” Hotch said shortly. We all stood up, more than a few questioning and worried glances were sent my way, but I was making a straight shot to the coffee. I was already wide awake, Katie had that effect on me, but I knew I would look extra strange if I didn’t have a coffee in my hand.

“Reid. Can I see you in my office?” Hotch asked, just as I was starting down the ramp to the bull pen. I swore under my breath. ‘This is not going to be good.’ I walked slowly into Hotch’s office, sitting down on the edge of the chair, pulling my messenger bag into my lap. It had one of Katie’s books in it.

“Reid,” Hotch began, sitting at his desk, looking up at me with a hard, blank face. “This team functions because we all look out for each other. We all have each others backs and each member of the team needs to trust all the others with their lives.” His face had yet to change. My palms started to sweat. “Now the team and I have noticed some changes in you lately, especially in the last few weeks. You’re late to work and always the first to leave after a case.” The sooner I left, the more time I had with Katie. “You look like you haven’t had a good nights sleep in weeks” I’ve been sleeping better than ever. Just not longer, Katie and I had better things to do than sleep. “Your hair and clothes look unkempt and unprofessional.” Hard to look polished when you get accosted at the door by a beautiful woman every morning.

“Hotch,” I began, eager to explain all these peculiarities away.

“Reid, if you can’t be here with the team and for the team, you are not contributing to the safety of this team or the productivity.” He said harshly.

“Wait, Hotch,” I said, really starting to panic.

“I think that since the Thatch case, maybe you’re not handling this job well enough,” Hotch’s voice was low and quiet, whereas mine was high and squeaky.

“Hotch, I’m not—” My voice cracked as I rushed to keep my job. I couldn’t lose this job, I love what I do.

 “I can’t trust you in the field where people have to count on you if I’m not sure your heads in the right place.”

“You can trust me, I’m here,” I said loudly. But Hotch didn’t even seem to hear my squeaky plea.

“As you’re Unit Chief,” Hotch said, plowing over my attempt to stave off further crisis. “I reserve the authority to mandate leave. I’ve decided that what you need is some time off. Starting today, I dot want to see you—”

“I have a girlfriend!” I burst out. ‘Shit! Did I just say that?’ Hotch seemed to hear me for the first time. Of course, that’s the first thing he stops to listen to.

“Excuse me?” he asked, surprise breaking the careful mask that Hotch always wore. I sighed, there was no point now.

“I, uh I have a girlfriend, we’ve been t-together for a while, but, um, she just m-moved in 3 weeks ago. That’s why I’ve been late so much,” I confessed, my face beet red. It’d been a while since I stuttered in front of Hotch.

“You have a girlfriend?” Hotch asked incredulously, his monotone voice replaced by surprise.

“Yes,” I answered simply and shortly.