The Talk

Katie

“Are you sure you have to go?” Spencer asked, pinning me against the door. He planted sweet little kisses against my neck and I laughed into his hair.

“Yes, Spence,” I said, smiling as he nipped at my skin when I said his name. “I need to shower, and change, and let my sister know I’m alive.” He sighed, defeated and begrudgingly opened the door for me. I kissed his lips, long and slow one more time, before turning and sashaying down the hall.

Walking out into the afternoon sun, I flashed back to the morning after the first night we spent together. I decided spending it in his bed was much, much better than on his couch. I sang all the way home, nearly skipping in my boots. I didn’t feel like I’d only known him less than a week. I felt like I’d known him all my life. ‘I must be insane’ I concluded happily as I reached my front door. But I didn’t at all mind, not as long as it was Spencer driving me crazy.

Surprisingly, Kayla didn’t meet me at the door this time. Instead, I found a note taped to the back of the door. “You were supposed to work last night L” was all it said. I winced and sighed. I was really in for it when she came home.

I wandered upstairs to take a shower. I didn’t especially want to; I smelled like him, I liked it. But my hair was dirty and I wanted to look good if he texted me to hang out again today. In fact, I was just getting out of the shower when my phone buzzed.

Spencer- What are you doing today? I think we should talk.

All of the good feelings I’d been buzzing on since I woke up this morning died in an instant. My face paled and my palms started to sweat. These were the famous first words of every break-up speech in the history of the world. And we weren’t even dating yet! I couldn’t remember the last time I was so nervous about a man. I’d always been so chilled about guys before; either they liked me or they didn’t. And sometimes, if they were lucky, I’d like them back.

But faced with the possibility that Spencer might not like me like that, I realized just how badly I wanted him to. He was so smart, so sweet, so different. I felt like we had a connection. And everything up until this point told me he liked me too. What could’ve made him change his mind?

Katie- Talk about what?

I laid back on my bed, staring at my ceiling, waiting for him to text me back. He finally did, with a simple:

Spencer- It can wait until I can see you. How about the café in The BookWorm at 4?

Katie- Okay, I’ll see you then.

I replied, my nerve not at all lessened. Looking at my watch, I saw I had a full hour before I had to meet him. I picked a pale pink, gauzy dress with white stripes. Slipping into my favorite boots, the ones I met Spencer, I headed out for The BookWorm. Spending a while there before Spencer got there would help me calm me down.

I sat down in my usual spot with my notebook. I settled into my chair and felt slightly more at ease. I’d spent so much time in this chair since id moved here, it just felt natural. Cracking open my notebook I flipped to the last page I’d written. I’d started a new story since id met Spencer. And I cant say that it wasn’t at least partially inspired by him.

It was a superhero story. About common people who had uncommon abilities, who team up to rid America of the worst of criminals. Okay, maybe it was almost completely inspired by Spencer and what he’s told me about his team.

Speaking of, I heard a familiar voice murmur from across the store. A week ago I wouldn’t have even looked up, but in just a few days, I had become so intimately aware of that voice. That voice had read me to sleep, told me I was beautiful in a bar, moaned my name in bed and whispered my name in his sleep. I had become so attuned to that voice that I recognized it from just a “Hello” to a smiling cashier. I glanced at my phone. It was only 3:35 and Spencer was already here.