The Call

Katie

I woke up to light streaming in Spencer’s bedroom window. I laid there peacefully, happy to just listen to his heartbeat. We’d been officially together for 3 months now, and if his apartment had felt comfortable before, now it was practically my second home. I even had some basic toiletries in his bathroom.

I was about to wake up Spencer when I remembered it was a Saturday. Looking at his clock I saw it was already 8:00. Spence hadn’t been called in yet, which hopefully meant I could have him all day. There was a new exhibit in the Natural History museum I was dying to go to, and I’d been days since Spencer and I could actually go anywhere together. But I didn’t mind when he got called away for work. He had to go save the world, and it gave me time to work on my new story and hang out at Square Toes. The more time I spent with Spence, the less I spent writing or with my sister. When he worked, I had the chance to do both. And when he didn’t, I got to spend mornings like this. But I wasn’t quite ready for it to be morning yet, and drifted back off to sleep, listening to Spencer’s breathing.

It was an hour and a half later when I woke up to my phone ringing. I grunted, telling Spencer to get it before I realized I was alone. The bed was still warm where he’d been, and I could hear the shower running. Still half asleep, I flailed for my phone, grabbing it off the bedside table where I’d set it the night before.

“Hello?” I asked, my voice still steeped in sleep.

“Excuse me,” a deep, confused male voice said through the phone, with some other, surprised sounding people in the background, like I was on speakerphone. “I’m looking for Dr. Reid,”

“I think you have the wrong number” I mumbled, my brain not quite working yet. Obviously, I am not a morning person.

“This is Aaron Hotchner, of the FBI,” the man said, aggravated. “Who is this?”

“Holy Shit,” I said, my eyes springing open. I held the phone away from my ear to really look at it. Not my phone! “Oh my gosh, I am so sorry!” I said into the phone, flustered and embarrassed. “Shit, okay, I’ll get him.” I heard someone laughing in the background, along with several “Who is that?”s and “What the hell?”s. I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom, tripping on a book along the way. Spencer had just gotten into the shower, most of his hair was still dry, and he smiled at me when he saw me. His smile soon slid off his face when he saw how badly I was freaking out.

“What’s wrong?” he asked immediately, pushing open the door, stepping out of the glass shower stall, crossing the small bathroom and pulling a gun out from under the sink. He moved so fast, it took me a second to understand what he was doing. Once I did, I forgot what I’d rushed in to do, taking a moment to appreciate the view of Spencer’s tall body dripping water onto the floor as he held a slim black revolver very professionally in his hand. Suddenly I remembered the phone in my hand, and shaking my head at Spencer, I held out the phone to him.

“Hello?” he asked carefully. His eyes widened and his face paled as he recognized the voice on the other end. It was a short conversation, Spencer only answering with “Yes, sir,” and “Right away, sir.” When he hung up, we both, stood there silently. He replaced the gun under the sink and rested his forearms against the counter.

            “I didn’t mean to,” I said, quietly. I couldn’t tell if he was mad or not.

            “No, I know you didn’t,” he sighed, turning his head to look at me. “It’s just… not going to be good.”

            “You haven’t told them about me?” I asked. I probably should’ve been mad; a normal girlfriend would’ve been, thinking that he was ashamed of her. But I wasn’t, I knew Spencer better than that. If he had kept e from his team, from his family, I knew there was a good reason.