Chapter 8

I was woken up by an explosion. I sat up and took my dagger and bow at handy. I shook him awake as he grudgingly got up. I looked out the window, and an arrow just barely missed my face. It whizzed past and hit the wall. I took my bandannas and wrapped them around my and his face. I gave him the bow and a few arrows.

In the skies were blazing with pieces of wood, stone, and spears flying across my head. I rode along my horse as I told the little child to run off to the forest we played in. I told him to not look back; I told him to not come back; I told him to stay there until I came back.

I saw him run all the way through the shrubs and plants. I was then tackled down to the ground. Above me was this little figure with a sword. I grabbed my dagger and stabbed its chest. It flopped to the ground as I ran towards the town looking for any survivors.

I went through the town of ashes and rubble, and I had found many children buried under it. I helped them out of Balt as quickly as I could, and as I was freeing a woman, a loud SHING rang through my ears. I looked behind me and saw a silhouette of a man who killed a demon about to kill me. He held his hand out to me as I got the woman out of the rubble. I took his hand.

"Take this woman somewhere safe," I said in Balten.

The man nodded as he led the woman through the streets. I was then bombarded by three demons, and I ran. I ran so fast my lungs began to hurt, and I collapsed. Before the men could do anything, he jumped in and shot them all. As I one was falling, it stabbed him in his chest and he collapsed with them. I crawled over to his body and cried out for him to come back.

"Young Warrior?" The troll shook me free of my vision. "I sorry my dust give bad memory."

"W-w-what was that?"

"Gray dust," she said holding out this silvery powder in her large, round hand. "It cause bad things to be remembered. Earth shaking mad happen. I sorry."

"Y-y-you don't have to be sorry," I replied still shaking from my experience.

"But you cry. Want to talk?"

"I...." I didn't want to be rude. She just told me of a personal past between her kind and mine. I feel like I should tell her about my past, but at the same time it hurts to bring it up.

"It okay," she said noticing my discomfort. "I understand you not talk about it. I not speak of again."

"I never asked you, actually. What is your name?"

"Ah. My name Kimberlite. Kim short version." I smiled at the troll. She's a sweet creature; I feel I shouldn't even call her a "creature." She seems more civilized than a human. Kim returned the smile until I heard a familiar voice.

"Gunnhild!" It was Iznik's.

"I go," Kimberlite said. "Red haired elf no like trolls here." Before I could stop her, she vanished within the undergrowth of the forest wonders. Iznik ran towards me panting like he was running for his life. 

"The scholars need you," he said. "They think the book has something interesting in it that they think you'll know about."

"Oh yeah?" I said trying to sound like I didn't see Kim. "Like what?"

"Look at this." He took out the book from his satchel and flipped to a page that made my heart race with shock. "Does this picture seem familiar to you?"

It did. The picture was of a young woman in a dress. She looked like she had blonde hair, and she was holding out a cup as a bird was on her shoulder while another was on the rim of the cup. It wasn't colored, but I knew the picture when I see it. Long ago, in Balt, he used to draw pictures of me in that dress. He used to ask me to pose, and he would draw beautiful pictures of flowers in my hair, or just of what I looked like.

"Yes. It is of me when I was younger." 

"Not only that, but listen to the notes as well." 

He read on about these bullet pointed words and sentences. I listened to the main ones, but my mind couldn't get off of what I saw. The picture he drew just made my mind spin. When Iznik stopped talking, I asked him something.

"Why did you say this interested them?" 

"The main reason is this book being by a person named Alex Nalid. Your last name is Nalid, and since you said the picture was familiar, they think that this person might be in some bond with you."

"I-I understand what you think," I stuttered as the name made me lightheaded. "I'll get to Altan immediately. Thank you for telling me of this."

"Your welcome. Now if you'll excuse me," he said while stretching. "It's my time to take a nap. Ugh, I needed that break from that tiny shop." I shook my head while smiling, got my armor on, and walked back to Altan.

However, my mind was still echoing with the name. Alex.... Alex Nalid.

K.C.T: Alex.... Alex Nalid.... *Goes into deep thought*

Bob: Uh.... *Pokes my face* Boss?

K.C.T: Huh? *Gets out of trance* OH! HI! *Ahem* Sorry, I just got into some interesting stuff. Deep thoughts man. They help with writer's block. Just theorize about new and old characters, and what they do, and BAM! You have something to write.... maybe. Don't take my words as 100% accurate. XD Anyways, everybody say bai! OOWAY! <3