Chapter 22

"What... exactly makes my journey... so... dangerous... to the point where I can't... even speak to my close friends about it?" I asked Kim while panting. "I mean... I'm putting Aelflaed in danger... by not telling her... anything!"

"Calm down," Kim said, handing me a leaf filled with water. "Aelflaed seems like smart girl. I sure she won't be harmed. But I can't risk you in danger."

"But if... my friends are in danger... then... that makes at more risk of going out there and saving them."

"Then why stay for so long?"

"Because..." I took a deep breath. "You've... cast a spell to keep me in."

"Exactly. I no trust human instinct to protect."

I sighed as I squeezed the leaf and let the water drip on my face. I rubbed it against my cheeks and nose as I sat on one of the stones to rest. It's been a couple days since I came in here to seek refuge, and Kim was all over me, trying to strengthen my magic and fighting skills in case the Demon Lord came with more Demon Souls. It's been tiring, but it reminds me of the times where I was beginning to train for knighthood.

It was possibly the best time of my life.

********************************

It was a year after Alex died. I went into Altan in order to gain a new life. Something different than what I previously had. I had been accepted into apprenticeship, and I use to train so much that my mentor use to make me pace my work. But the work got my mind off of everything that had happened in Balt.

One day, as I was scouting the area for some herbs, I came across Aelflaed. She had nearly shot me in the arm. It's a good thing that she was merely a trainee and not a true archer. She had looked very mature at such a young age, so it caught me more off-guard than it would've if she looked more childish.

"Who are you?" She said in her country accent.

Although fear crawled within me, I kept my voice calm. "I'm merely a scout. I'm searching for some herbs."

"Ya sure?" She asked, coming closer but not lowering her bow. "Who would want these herbs you're lookin' for?"

"The Court's physician," I said, holding out the letter I had gotten from her. "Do you by any chance know where I can find some sage?"

Aelflaed gave me a look before jerking her head to the path behind me. "There should be some along that path behind ya."

I nodded my head in a thank you, but before I could leave, she stopped me again. "You a knight in trainin', partner?"

"Yes," I said, turning my head back to face her.

"Ya seem a bit young."

"I'm sure that you see all the knights in training come in. After all, you are an archer, no?"

"Only a trainee." She put away her bow then, seeming to be more comfortable. "Aelflaed." She held her hand out. "You?"

"Gunnhild," I said, shaking her hand. "Now, may I go?"

She smirked as she waves me off and jumped into the trees. I merely shook my head and walked down the path.