Chapter 3

Kiara

Half an hour later we reached Dragon Woods. The Sequoia trees stood before us like giant guardians, their branches spread out as if to warn us! Beware!! The trees were so dense that you could barely see through them. Even though it was a sunny day the forest was dark and threatening.

“This is the place” Joshua said nervously. He kept wringing his hands together. ”It would be easier to walk through then to ride the horses. I think I remember where my uncle lives. Follow me.” He didn’t look very confident but lead the way.

“What are we going to do with the horses?” Dakota asked looking around.

“That’s easy,” Joshua said. ”I know of a little clearing off to the right; they will be safe there.”

We entered the forest with the horses following nervously behind. They were snorting and stomping, but we encouraged them with sugar cubes. The clearing was lush with green grass and the horses pushed their way in and contentedly started to munch. We left the horses and moved deeper into the forest. As we were walking, we heard a loud roar! We all stopped and looked around; waiting and listening and straining our senses to find the source.

“Ummmm, I didn’t know lions were in these parts.” Dakota gave a jittery laugh.

 As we traveled further, we felt the ground shake!! “Earthquake!” I gathered Joshua in my arms while Dakota stood over me. It stopped a few minutes later. We waited a few seconds before letting go of each other. I actually didn’t mind it. Dakotas’ arms around me felt…… nice!!!!!! I shook myself and focused.

“That was weird,” Joshua said anxiously glancing around.

“It’s ok, earth shakes are common.” I gave him a reassuring hug. I didn’t know who I was trying to convince him or me. There was something eerie about this forest. I glanced at Dakota; he gave me a wink but I knew he was uneasy. “Let’s get going!” We walked a few minutes before Joshua stopped and said:

“I have to go.”

“You have to go where?”  Dakota responded.

“I have to go,” Joshua repeated as he wiggled in his place and looked at Dakota to know what he meant.

“Ohhh! You have to go!  Now I get it! Pick a tree!  We will wait here,” Dakota chuckled.

I looked at Dakota but he just shrugged his shoulders “Can you hold it?”

“No!!” Joshua said as he started to jump around. “I’ll be right back!” as he ran a little ahead and went around a tree.

“This forest is strange” I whispered to Dakota. I gazed around at the giant trees feeling like an ant compared to a giant!

“Yes, I agree.” Dakota said.

I heard a loud crash and a startled scream.

“Joshua” we both said in union. We ran to the tree. As we ran around the corner I saw what looked to be like a large, spiky, greenish brown tail.  I inspected the ground to find twigs and leaves crushed. “It had to be something big…… “I didn’t finish my thought. I knew this animal but it couldn’t be. No one has seen one for fifty years.

“You know what it was don’t you?” Dakota asked quietly.

I looked up and nodded my head. I kept this thought to myself. My heart was pounding against my chest. If my guess is true it will be the end of Joshua. I won’t ever see him again. I don’t even know if I and Dakota could defeat this animal.

“Kiara,” Dakota nudged my shoulder. ”We’ll find Joshua. Don’t worry we can do this” His face was calm yet determined.

I couldn’t even voice my thoughts because of the fear inside me.